Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chicken Poo - advice please  (Read 2400 times)

mintytwoshoes

• Joined Feb 2012
Chicken Poo - advice please
« on: October 17, 2015, 08:23:29 pm »
Hi,
Just a quick note to get some advice for one of my contacts.  What would you all consider to be a chicken poo that indicated problems.  I know this is a broad subject but I need a good set of answers and not just my experience.  She is new to chicken keeping and has been asking for advice.
Thanks

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
Re: Chicken Poo - advice please
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 08:46:55 pm »
Hi there,  it's been a while since I was chicken poo inspecting but I do recall that if you google chicken poo there's a good site somewhere that shows a really extensive number of pictures with comments on each saying whether fine or a cause for concern.... sorry can't actually identify but it's definitely out there....
what a smallholder's life comes to eh?!! :roflanim:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 08:50:10 pm »
I think if its too watery and especially if there is blood in it. Sometimes an off colour from the norm?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 11:06:23 am »
Cleaning out the coops every day and checking the poos is the best way of spotting ill heath amongst the flock long before it becomes a serious issue. However it takes a lot of experience to spot normal variation from abnormal and it is easy to become worried needlessly. Watery poos will be seen in hot weather and during a moult. Frothy mustard yellow poos are excitement and potentially worms. Sludgy brown poos are ceacal clear out which normally occurs once a day from both chambers- first thing in the morning usually but not always. The colour can also be yellow depending on the feed -if it contains 'yolk enhancers' which are chemical colourants. Why the chickens store stuff in them seems unclear from reading about it but one thought is a surplus of digestive enzymes.

I forgot to mention green. Green poo can be nothing more than eating cut grass or cucumber. However when bright green it can be internal injury or infection and those are the poos we react quickly to. Isolation of the bird and a thorough examination. The absence of any poo at all is serious and can mean either a total loss of appetite or digestive impaction. Slimy poos will be the beginning of sour crop.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 12:00:40 pm by chrismahon »

mintytwoshoes

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 06:13:26 pm »
Thanks will let her know

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 07:24:28 pm »
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

I hope this works. This was a link to a useful chicken poo example site!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS