Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding shells back to chickens?  (Read 5534 times)

Lavinia

• Joined Nov 2009
  • Midlothian
Re: Feeding shells back to chickens?
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 09:52:17 pm »
Well we have done the deed, i cooked them in the microwave and then they were smashed to the smallest of smallest of pieces and they chickens scoffed the lot.... Only thing was that it didn't smell of popcorn
Lavinia

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 10:50:10 am »
I am still collecting my egg shells (or rather have not got round to microwaving them yet).

Yesterday I dropped an egg on the floor by accident and they all nearly knocked me over to eat it  and were fighting each other for bits!!  Hope they have not got the taste for them or there will be no eggs tonight.

Ta

Baz

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2010, 02:49:03 pm »
My rather eccentric MIL has just handed me a huge pile of egg shells she has been collecting and baking for months (by the size of the pile, since her last hens went a year or 2 ago as she was saving them in case she got more). She told me to feed them to the hens - so couple of questions -

how much should I give them -
should it be mixed with other grit or is egg shells alone enough
is there an expiry on baked egg shells after which I should use them for slug repellant instead?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS