Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help, why would a 5 month old ewe lamb suddenly start losing its fleece (in Oct)  (Read 3789 times)

Furryears

• Joined Apr 2015
 ??? why oh why oh why has my 5 month old ewe lamb started suddenly losing its fleece? She got fly strike 4 weeks ago now, but has survived that and is healing well from that. She is bright enough, eating and drinking, but as of this afternoon suddenly going bald? Help please! She Suffolk X

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Woolslip, stress, large amounts of Pen.?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
It will grow back, but slowly.  If you're planning to keep her I suggest keeping shelter available through Winter, or fitting her with a calf jacket.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
If the skin was damaged by the flies/larvae, then it will grow back new and pink now. She will be fine in time, but if it is a large area definitely some shelter or even a coat of some sort would be useful as suggested above.

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
When sheep have suffered a huge amount of stress they can often completely lose their fleeces - it's happened to 2 of mine. Coincidentally I have a 6 month old ewe lamb that had very bad fly strike and she almost died, she has also just shed her fleece and I've had to buy her a dog coat!

Yours will need some kind of coat and shelter over winter till her fleece grows  back (which it will)
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
I'd say stress after being poorly, she ll be fine, it ll grow back xx

Furryears

• Joined Apr 2015
Thank you all. Remy, your situation sounds very similar to mine.

Currently she is in the barn with a buddy, as her sore rump was cracking/not healing out in the sun and rain, so I decided to bring her in last weekend. As soon as her sore has gone I will put her back out with some sort of jacket - would be awful to be bald outside at this time of year.

Thank you for the information and reassurance - I was very worried when I suddenly found her with two bare sides this evening - even though she is very bright / eating.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Sudocrem or E45 cream will keep her skin from cracking.

Furryears

• Joined Apr 2015
Hi Devonlady, I have been using sudocream, it does seem to be doing the trick - looking at her this evening the fleece on her back seems to be well attached, she has just lost down her sides and around her neck.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS