Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: B+E Trailer Driving Test?  (Read 5930 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
B+E Trailer Driving Test?
« on: October 14, 2015, 10:18:42 pm »
I'm thinking of getting a 10'x5' flatbed trailer for hauling building materials and other heavies around. However, I passed my driving test in 1999, so I'm only licensed for category B. To spare you all the detail, that means that the max I can currently tow with the Landy is about 1750kg, or about 1250kg max payload if the trailer weighs 500kg. {EDIT - it turns out that's not actually true. The rules are based on "MAM", which is Maximum Authorised Mass, rather than the *actual* mass in the car and trailer. It turns out that's a subtle, but important difference, which substantially reduces the weight you can tow on a post 1997 car license}

So, I wondered how difficult it might be to take a B+E category test, which would let me tow up to the max 3500kg weight allowed for the Landy. I just wondered if anybody had done this recently, and if so, did you need extra tuition for it, and how difficult was it? 

I'll be honest, the idea of having to drive for 90 minutes without crossing my hands on the steering wheel or making rude gestures if somebody cuts me up scares the life of out me!!  :roflanim:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 11:01:30 pm by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: B+E Trailer Driving Test?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 07:10:53 am »
My son did a training course.  He could already tow trailers due to lots of work on the farm and using tractors but he needed  the tuition to ensure that he "lost" his bad driving habits as it is like taking your driving test again but with the trailer as well.  As it is a long time since you took your test it may well be cheaper to have a lesson or two to tune up your driving test skills.

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 08:35:21 am »
Womble - I did my trailer test in 2005.  I did it through a guy in Kincardine who was very good.  I had 1.5 consecutive days with him being trained and the 0.5 day in the afternoon of the second day was the actual test up in Perth. So 2 whole days in total.
He supplied the vehicle and trailer (box type - it has to be this sort for the test).  From memory the test is very much like an HGV test - emergency stop in the yard, drive about Perth city centre and then into the countryside, engine checks, unhitch and hitch up the trailer, reverse manoeuvre.
I pasted without any issues.
I'll look out his details for you and PM them to you.

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 12:00:59 pm »
Just a little note of caution regarding towing heavy loads, irrespective of the engine capacity and pulling power of the towing vehicle, for safety, stability and efficient braking (even with a fully braked trailer) the the weight of the towing vehicle should be at least equal to or greater than the maximum weight of the trailer combined with its load. A Landrover or Range Rover etc., might be capable of towing 4/5 tonnes for example but certainly not safely! Having been in the recovery industry I have attended many incidents where the towing vehicle weighed less (sometimes much less!) than the trailer and disaster had ensued - usually the 'tail wagging the dog' scenario but not always - some were where a crosswind took the trailer and both tower and trailer ended up in a heap. Excess speed also contributed to accidents with a trailer heavier than the towing vehicle.
One funny incident was at a hunter trials where the lady concerned was towing a big Rice double horsebox with two 16hh horses up with her Peugot 306, she managed to get to the event somehow, but when she drove onto the grass at the first slight rise in the ground her wheels just spun round and she couldn't move forwards or backwards much to the amusement of the crowd.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 05:49:33 pm »
...could have used the extra horsepower...

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 07:19:34 pm »
Two young guys from here did the test last year , as Carse Goodlifers says 1.5 days tuition plus they did  a bit of practise reversing a trailer with mirrors only into a measured space , both passed easily  .     Womble if you buy an ifor Williams  DP120 10 FT livestock trailer the canopy can detatch to make a flat bed so does two jobs

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 09:25:10 pm »
My dad had to do a trailer driving course when we started farming, so that would have been early 2000-2001? My older brothers did one in 2006-7. I might have to take one as well (after I learn to drive) so i'll be reading closely on this topic. Sorry I couldn't be of help.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 08:54:19 am »
There are times I'm glad I'm an old fart, passed in '94 can drive anything with wheels on the corners :-D

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2015, 11:00:16 am »
There are times I'm glad I'm an old fart, passed in '94 can drive anything with wheels on the corners :-D

Mind you I passed in 87 so don't need to do the test and I am no more competent that someone like Womble so I think the rules are rubbish.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2015, 11:29:06 am »
I quite agree. I passed my test in 2005 (wee spring chicken me!) But my learning period started with tractor or quad bike and trailer on farm, then I passed tractor and trailer driving license on the island of Sark (only the 9th woman in history to have done so!) so I am quite proficient with a trailer, just haven't got round to sitting the test here to drive on roads.

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2015, 11:49:52 am »

Up to 7500kg, unless you have taken the HGV2 (LGV) test and passed a medical.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2015, 02:26:56 pm »
7.5tons is plenty big enough...

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2015, 04:19:41 pm »
I quite agree. I passed my test in 2005 (wee spring chicken me!) But my learning period started with tractor or quad bike and trailer on farm, then I passed tractor and trailer driving license on the island of Sark (only the 9th woman in history to have done so!) so I am quite proficient with a trailer, just haven't got round to sitting the test here to drive on roads.

Which can be irksome!!!! 

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2015, 09:36:13 pm »
I used to be licensed to drive a steam road roller - but when they made plastic licences they took it off my paper one. :(

Mind you I did get my provisional when all you had to do was pay £17 and you could ride your 50cc and a tractor without any training at all :)

And got 'grandad' rights on towing :)

To be honest its easier to tow a big trailer (in wieght) that a small one

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2015, 09:46:06 pm »
Yup I'd much rather tow 2 tons than 1/2 a ton much more stable and less bouncy... Obviously depends on tow vehicle... But womble has a defender so should be OK towing most things... I killed my tow vehicle and am making do with a much smaller vehicle currently. It's driving me nuts not being able to move heavy loads...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS