Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: triplet advise please  (Read 3060 times)

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
triplet advise please
« on: April 05, 2010, 12:25:19 pm »
okay, our first set of triplets arrived today.  one was particularly small and became shivery and cold so we took her into the kitchen for some colostrum and a warm.  so what do I do next?  all the books and internet suggest different things.  There is no possibility of an adoption as we only have two left to lamb - one is definitely going to be a multiple (or she has terrible wind!) and the other has had mastitis and only has one quarter.  Do I keep the triplet seperate and just get on and bottle feed or do we try to put her back with mum and suplement all three?

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
Re: triplet advise please
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 02:29:12 pm »
I would keep her away from her mother, if she has been away from her birth mother for more than 24hours the chances of putting it back on are slim.

If you have a mother who looses a lamb, or has a single and plenty of milk you can possibly foster. by rubbing it with the living single,  or wrap in the skin of the dead one.

Good Luck what ever you do

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 03:57:14 pm »
I'd resign myself to bottle feeding. At lwast it's a ewe lamb so you have an excuse to keep her  ;D

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 05:46:16 pm »
Well, mother nature has decided.  We tried putting her back with mum, who was having none of it!  So looks like we are on 4 hourly feeds. 

My next question is how long?  How do we wean her off the milk and introduce her to her field mates?

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 07:04:25 pm »
I wouldn't, unless it is very tiny or very sick and can only take an ounce or two of milk at a time, feed it through the night. Last feed is fine at 11 or 11:30pm, and first feed at 6 or 6:30am. How many feeds you then give it during the day is up to you, but the quicker you can get it taking more milk at once, the quicker you can spread out the feeds further.

Beth
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 10:02:57 pm by ballingall »

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 09:02:20 pm »
You have a pet lamb! 4 feeds per day is ok for a strong lamb 6 feeds for a smaller one. As Beth has said feed before you go to bed and when you get up....it will be fine!
Feed for 6-8 weeks...follow instructions on packet. Get her eating hay and creep asap. Good luck! :wave:
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 10:03:21 pm »
Am in a simmilar position, first set of triplets, no foster ewe in sight... hopefully the goats give enough milk, but it means none for us... Good to read that 4-hourly feeds are not required, in this weather I really wouldn't fancy traipsing into the field/shed in the middle of the night. Ours are all three strong, one male and two females. male a bit bigger, so he will be bottled.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS