Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tractor Log Splitter  (Read 2836 times)

jbthecamel

• Joined Sep 2015
Tractor Log Splitter
« on: October 03, 2015, 08:52:18 am »
Hi All,

Looking at log splitters and it seems there are three choices out there if anybody has any experience i would be very grateful of the comments.  I have a 25hp compact tractor, and i am bored of swinging an axe.  I'm not in the logging business, just logs for myself.

1.  Hydraulic take off from the tractor - Looks good and simple. A 10t one costs about £500 new.  I am concerned that running it from my 25hp tractor hydraulics would mean that it would be very slow and not get the 10t splitting force.  All the videos out there seem to be running them off larger tractors

2.  The screw type - To be honest these scare the hell out of me.  It looks like you have to maintain pressure on the log and feed it into the screw.  Imagine if you slipped and your hand / leg / touched the screw !!!!! - £600 ish

3.  PTO shaft powers a separate hydraulic pump which supply's the pressure for the ram - same as option 1 above but more expensive at £1000 plus.  Are they twice as goos as option 1 ??

Thanks

shinymcprice

• Joined Nov 2014
Re: Tractor Log Splitter
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 09:06:26 am »
Just built myself a screw type log splitter to go on my fergie (hydraulics won't deal with anything else!). Not as scary as they appear, light pressure on the log to start it on the thread then you can let go! I've mounted it on a steel plate, so the log can't rotate and there's no chance of catching you leg on it. Cost £120 for screw, shaft and bearings kit, £55 for the A-frame and around £50 for the angle iron and plate.

YoungRasher

• Joined Aug 2012
  • DERBYSHIRE
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 09:11:13 am »
I have a home made log splitter that uses the tractor hydraulics on my david brown 996, is single ram type and has never failed to spit anything i've had in it. i can also run it from a petrol power pack which only has a little engine so i wouldn't think your tractor would be a problem.

where abouts are you. you could always try one on your tractor before spending any money

jbthecamel

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 05:54:44 pm »
thanks for the info re the screw log splitter.  I would also need to buy a PTO shaft.

Where did you get your A frame from ?

shinymcprice

• Joined Nov 2014
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 10:30:22 am »

jbthecamel

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 06:16:53 pm »
Ok so i went and tool the plunge and bought one from Ebay, KTM machinery 10t, runs off tractor hydraulics.  £465 delivered.

I have to say i couldn't be happier.  With the Kubota 2530 at just over tickover the ram is fast and plenty powerful enough to easy split anything i had there. I even tried it on some horribly knotty stuff, which would normally take 5 or more good swings from a splitting maul before it would even start to split, split straight away with the KTM splitter.

Cycle speed also perfectly fine as well

I really can't see why you've spend anymore.  Chuffed to bits

Thanks for all of your help.

Now onto the next project.........

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 07:55:52 pm »
Just had a look, they look very good and competitively priced....I'm tempted !

You got the hydraulics figured out then !

jbthecamel

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 08:15:44 am »
Yup all sorted thanks for your help. I would have been stuck I think if it wasn't for the tip to hold the lever in the pump position with a strap

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS