Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cutting trees down - the rules  (Read 5404 times)

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Cutting trees down - the rules
« on: October 08, 2015, 03:57:58 pm »
Are there any rules that I need to know about with regard to the number of trees you can cut down in a given year?  (assuming you've not in any SFP scheme or the like)  and are the limits based on a % of your total acreage or anything like that?

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
Re: Cutting trees down - the rules
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 04:29:59 pm »
I think its something like no more than 5 cubic metres in a calendar quarter provided you're not selling 2 cubic metres of it. apparently that's a lot of Wood. Assuming of course no point , covenants etc. Any more than this require s a felling licence

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 03:12:57 pm »
Is it ancient woodland?
But yeah, i think as devonlad says. I think 5 cubes is not a great deal if you seriously use it for heat at home

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 03:23:43 pm »
I have a felling licence and found the Forestry Commission to be very helpful.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 03:25:48 pm »
No, it's not ancient - it's just been left unmanaged for 30 years :)

Thanks all!

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 11:14:11 am »
No, it's not ancient - it's just been left unmanaged for 30 years :)

Thanks all!

Ha, i know the situation, mine has too...
It's ancient, so i need to be a little more careful (or not :p )

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 07:40:17 pm »
Just do it when there's not a council official or a nosey neighbour about.  I asked a friend to come and look at my ancient beech trees with a  view to chopping them prior to applying for planning permission. Within hours there were TPOs slapped on them!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 09:37:13 am »
Just do it when there's not a council official or a nosey neighbour about.  I asked a friend to come and look at my ancient beech trees with a  view to chopping them prior to applying for planning permission. Within hours there were TPOs slapped on them!
I would keep all the nice big ones I think anyway; it's just a matter of clearing out the smaller ones in order to let some light back in.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 01:21:53 pm »
I would keep all the nice big ones I think anyway; it's just a matter of clearing out the smaller ones in order to let some light back in.
Mine were all checked by an arboriculturalist prior to Les going to look at them  He said they all had disease or lumps or split trunks and would be better felled - but no, the Council environmentalist with no tree qualifications says they are fine!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 12:04:47 am »
Are there any rules that I need to know about with regard to the number of trees you can cut down in a given year?  (assuming you've not in any SFP scheme or the like)  and are the limits based on a % of your total acreage or anything like that?

Wales appears to have gone absolutely mad  with what you can and can't do on your own land . Any oak is automatically protected , if you are in an SSI , a national park , a place that the RSPCA , RSPB or any other busybody who has  registered ( usually unknown to you ) an interest in your land or if you live in or close to  area of so called outstanding beauty you might come unstuck.

Most of the council & county councils have a lot of such info on their websites so if you borrow someone else's computer , you should be able to have a good look for such things and not have it tied to your name or email address .

I pretty certain that  I've read something fairly recently that reported someone got slapped for several thousands of pounds for each tree they cut down  tree plus a fine as well . I can't remember if it was done without planning being  consulted or that a planning refusal was ignored  ( Google for it )
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 08:10:58 am »
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 09:40:48 am »
Wales appears to have gone absolutely mad  with what you can and can't do on your own land . Any oak is automatically protected , if you are in an SSI , a national park , a place that the RSPCA , RSPB or any other busybody who has  registered ( usually unknown to you ) an interest in your land or if you live in or close to  area of so called outstanding beauty you might come unstuck.
This particular land is surrounded by forestry commission land and doesn't boundary any roads, thankfully.

I pretty certain that  I've read something fairly recently that reported someone got slapped for several thousands of pounds for each tree they cut down  tree plus a fine as well . I can't remember if it was done without planning being  consulted or that a planning refusal was ignored  ( Google for it )
I couldn't find anything other that ppl fined for felling more trees than the 5 cubic metres per quarter rule.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 11:37:35 pm »
This is not the article I think I saw , but  both are along similar lines to the gist of the comversation.

.https://naturalresources.wales/forestry/tree-felling-and-other-regulations/tree-felling-licences/?lang=en

express.co.uk/news/uk/562216/Marilyn-Barnes-woman-fined-felling-trees-increase-value-her-home-Lake
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS