Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My poor boy!  (Read 6709 times)

jembo

• Joined Feb 2010
My poor boy!
« on: April 04, 2010, 09:34:42 pm »
My 4 year old spotty pony, dropped down dead on Thursday evening. I am still in shock and still crying!!
I found him lying in the field when I drove home from work and rushed up to him as I knew something was wrong. He was just lying down looking quite peaceful, but I could not work it out, there was no sign of any injury, he had been fine at lunch time. There was also no marks from him thrashing around, so I knew he had gone quickly.

The hunt came out very quickly the next morning after calling them, and he offered to do a post-mortem. He called me a few hours later to say that he had a hole in the heart the size of a golf ball and that he had suffered a massive heart attack.  Poor boy, but at least it was very quick.

I had bought him from a sale about 2.5 years ago. A man was beating him up in the back of a lorry, so I took him home. He was so frightened. It took me weeks of work to get him even to trust me.

I feel comfort in the fact that he had 2.5 years of his very short life in a wonderful place with 2 other play mates, and he knew he was loved and cared for.

RIP my little Arizona Pie, you will never be forgotten xx

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: My poor boy!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 09:52:19 pm »
Oh no what a horribly sad thing to happen, but like you said it must have been quick.  Death is such a sudden thing whether we are prepared or not - I really sympathise with you and thank goodness he had a good life with you before his time came to a close.

Daisy

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Near Earlston Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 09:59:41 pm »

I'm so sorry jembo  , it must have been a terrible shock for you; but mercifully quick for your lovely boy

Run free at Rainbow Bridge little Arizona pie

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 10:07:51 pm »
So sorry to hear. Thankfully quick and he had a few good years with you.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 10:42:34 pm »
Poor Jembo - what a shock for you.  But he is in a better place now and free from pain.  It is far better for him to go so fast than to be ill for ages.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Annie22

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Hoddles Creek
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 10:57:44 pm »
That is so sad, I really feal for you.  I had my two older horses sent to the grassy fields in 2007, but at least I knew it was going to happen, it must have been such a shock :'(.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 11:08:05 pm »
I am so sorry to hear the sad news about your horse.  Its such a shock especially as he was so young, you just do not expect it.  Obvously you did not know about the hole in the heart, how could you?  At least it was quick, which must be a comfort for you, that he did not suffer.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 07:41:36 am »
What a shock for you but you must take some comfort knowing you rescued him from hell and gave him a wonderful life - no matter how short a life it was. It is never easy loosing any animal as they become part of the family. :)

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 09:14:56 am »
Can sympathise with that as I had a broodmare die suddenly from a brain hemorrhage some years ago. It was a shock.

Unfortunately I was living on a v small offshore island at the time so no way anyone could come to collect her. We had a to hand dig a very big hole. At least she was only 12.2hh.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 10:44:15 am »
So sorry to hear about your pony.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 02:00:19 pm »
So sorry Jembo  :'( Rest in peace little man xxx

jembo

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 03:57:40 pm »
Thanks for all your replies, he was a fab little boy. I wish I knew how to put photos up on here??

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 04:24:42 pm »
Open your photo editor and reduce the size of the photo to that suitable for a web page. Save it onto your desktop with a different name, keeping the original as it is. Open a reply on here, bottom left is 'additional options' click on teat, browse for your photo, click submit.

I should keep a file on here and just refer everyone to it, shouldn't I?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jembo

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 05:07:48 pm »
Many thanks doganjoe

Hopefully photos attached!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 06:03:36 pm »
oh Jembo, he was gorgeous... very sorry he's gone.
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS