Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Toggenburg Male W.Yorks/Lancs  (Read 2120 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Toggenburg Male W.Yorks/Lancs
« on: October 09, 2015, 02:19:35 am »
Togg male kid, born April, purebred but unregistered, his dad went up Scotland (photos available) but his mum can be seen. not set up for keeping a male so he's getting a bit of a nuisance and I'm have to walk down wet fields to him and his little buddy too often during the day, so only £40, no room in the freezer!

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
Re: Toggenburg Male W.Yorks/Lancs
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 12:47:29 pm »
Hi, penninehillbilly, you mentioned your kids father went to Scotland if he was a registered pure togg what was his registered name and do you know where he went -I have pure toggs and am in scotland and there are currently only 3 males in Scotland. Thank you, hope you find a home soon for your male kid.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 01:55:39 pm »
Hi Talana
No he wasn't registered, his dad was Poundroll Avenger, his mum was out of Poundroll Cinamon/Linray Angus, but not registered. Interesting the buyer was interested then bought a 'mongrel' from Huddersfield, I put a new picture up and he couldn't buy him fast enough, he did look good. Must email the chap and see how he went on.
There aren't many round male Toggs round here, I'm having to travel a fair way with mine, up to Joan Bells a couple of years ago, (great fun, in a small transit that DID not sound healthy, then brakes seized on, OH had to do running repairs in an ASDA carpoark at about midnight ::)  ).
brought P.Austin up from South last year, (hated him being here, but had to have him over a month till we could get him back to Sally), and this year, all being well, over to Roy Parkin. Both my Toggs have had their first season but I couldn't find the CAE cert., the vet was supposed to email me a copy but didn't get it, all quiet again today.
Ah well, a bit early for round here anyway.

Hope you find a good male, You've had good results in show ring, don't you keep one of your males to help spread the genes :-)
Maybe thats why Toggs are becoming rare, can't find males, I nearly used a boer last year till Sharon helped out.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 04:28:36 pm »
Hi Penninehillbilly, thanks for replying I do have my own male one of the last ones Linray Angus sired he can do most of my goats who are a combination of my foundation goats Linray avon and Poundroll crocus. I know how you feel- I have had my little adventures as well darting across the country with a goat) I'm taking some of mine on a four hour round trip to Denise's new male gorsefield cylvan(delivered from cornwall -i'm not in a position to do that) I'm taking one of my males goatling daughters and best milker twinkle who if has a male I may keep it this time as i can use it on some others or AI the female kids to get a new line i can use. I think there is some new breeders starting in cumbria and northumberland so that possibly could help me get a new male  in the future as well as AI. It's difficult as there is so few bloodlines and far flung and you only can keep so many goats. I have kept 2 males in the past one went to morpeth (done a couple of goats deliver /pick up at lanark mart- being halfway) and the other kid i kept went for sausages once my goats were mated. Usually I don't keep male kids entire as I can't use them and nobody seems to want them so go for sauasges. As you know males aren't easy to keep! I have several kidded kids in the past ! although the male I have just now is very placid. Mine haven't started being in season yet I think to do with the weather this year. So I have resorted to sponging some of them- I have 3 sponges to pull tomorrow one to go in with my own male schwartz and the other 2 to travel up to Denise's new boy. Good luck with your goats and hope you get good home for your kid if not - good for the freezer.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS