Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Permission for public parking?  (Read 5928 times)

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
Permission for public parking?
« on: October 07, 2015, 07:32:12 pm »
We have been told by the planners/national parks - (well actually just the one persons opinion really, but its frightening enough with these peeps for just one to have an opposed opinion) that we are not allowed to let people park on our yard in the curtalidge of our home which is owned by me independently of the farm business. (to stop the business being framed as a hobby or 'lifesytle' choice and therfor an extraction of cash from a legit business)

The National coast paths starts 2 miles down the ROAD - and we are on gate 1 of the footpath where people can get off the tarmac and enjoy the walks around the headland.

Is it illegal to advertise that people can park on my driveway and start on the path rather than a 2 mile treck up shoddy lanes built in the 60's with grass growing up the middle and nowhere for people to pass with pushchairs, dogs and children. - Rated at 60mph?

I am not going to tarmac a field and charge £5 a day like the parks do - just want £1.50 to cover wear and tear on the drive - which incidentaly is the only turning point even if I didnt have a car park so my drive gets ripped up either way.

I have seen sites where you can park your car in someones driveway by an airport? Why or can I just go ahead?

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: Permission for public parking?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 04:07:14 pm »
I don't know and from the lack of responses so far seems no one else does either as too many 'it depends' options.  Depends on scale, frequency, current use and permissions, any convenants etc.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 08:35:01 am »
Pharnorth, they just want all the parking to go to they're car park. They don't even like people parking down by poppit, they want everyone to park in they're over priced Carpark.   All I can think in addition to that is that some people have complained about the cars using the lane when they have been walking.  The lane services many homesteads and farms, it just  happens to be a section of the coastal path too.  We have bent over back wards to help them.  I would love some little pedestrian pullins to be carved in the banks on the way up. 

If they don't want us to use the yard, then the poor Park rangers won't be very happy about it as they have to park here to do they're job, keeping the path safe and cut back. They want the penny and the bun, but they can't have it Baz, I m sorry.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 11:22:52 am »
If I was you I would consult authorities/lawyer and they should be able to tell you. Sorry we can't be of help.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 05:42:14 pm »
I think I am just going to buy an old bike and strap a sign to on a hedge down bottom of lane.

The amount of poeple that walk the mile up the hill - see my field and say -'well am knackered now, why dont you post at bottom of lane that we can park here'

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 05:47:46 pm »
People who used their fields for parking and charged for the Tour de France had to pay tax.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 10:28:18 pm »
You might be doing yourself a favour to be looking at  public liability & fire insurance requirements as well .

As it is in a the national park you may well be on to a hiding to nothing .

I'd take the bull by the horns and write a letter to the planning dept asking for simple definitive a reply with chapter & verse references & for you look up & for you to have the reply in 30 working days . Send it in by recorded signed for mail ....... perhaps including in the letter .. " So you know if it is a sensible thing to consider proceeding with  . Note Well you are not asking for planning permission or a planning consultation at this stage " .

Trying to get the info on official headed paper will mean that  you'll know one way or another as cheaply as possible .
If they say No problems & their minds change with the weather you'll have the evidence you might need to help you .

If it's a No  you won't have left yourself open to enforcement fines and other problems in the future.

I guess the same may apply if you said free parking but sold surplus honey , eggs and veg etc. or other things  ( not grown / made specifically for sale .... making them garden gate sales ) at the field gate but it could be worth exploring /thinking about before you make any contact with the authorities .

:idea:  Due to the number of foot falls going by , would you getting a working  ice cream van help with earning money , you could then say seeing as you've purchased an icecream you can park here for nothing , to eat it and perhaps take a stroll around the area on the coastal path  if you feel like it.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 10:41:26 pm by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 02:33:32 pm »
We have a licensed campsite - was thinking of selling a tiny tent to hang off people aerials for day parkers :)

And yes we pay tax too - on bloomin everything :)

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 02:35:06 pm »
The thing is they said that they didnt want extra traffic coming up the road - but the fact is - the road is not really my responsibility is it.

Also the campsite is classes as non agri land as we have had change of use.

I can only surmise that after digging up a perfectly good tarmax car park down by the beach and spending £120,000 on putting stone down that gets ripped up by turning vehicles - they want to carry on charging people £5 - rather than let me charge my £1.50

They should have spent the £120,000 on resurfaceing the road and making a few pedentrian pull ins.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 02:39:14 pm by bazzais »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 11:20:32 pm »
Is it the charging they are complaining about?  How about a 'Donations for the upkeep of the yard'  box?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 07:48:03 am »
 :thinking: Hi
This might apply to you

Paragraph: 015    Reference ID: 13-015-20150319   Is planning permission required to rent out a parking space?The Government’s view is that it should be possible to rent parking spaces without planning permission, provided there are no substantive planning concerns such as public nuisance to neighbours.
There is a public interest from such renting, by providing more cheap and flexible parking spaces for people to park their car and taking pressure away from on-street parking.
The decision on whether renting out a parking space requires planning permission will depend on two principal factors:
  • The first is whether renting out a parking space results in a material change in the use of the space. Determining whether there has been a material change of use will depend on whether a space is used in a significantly different way to how a parking space would normally be used (irrespective of the identity of the driver). For example, if by renting out spaces, it causes a notable public or neighbour nuisance. A local planning authority will make this decision based on relevant facts and on a case by case basis.
  • The second is whether there are any other relevant planning considerations, such as planning conditions, which impose restrictions that prevent parking spaces being rented out.
If renting out parking spaces does not amount to a material change of use and if there are no other planning considerations that prevent parking spaces from being rented out then it would not require planning permission.   Revision date: 19 03 2015         

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 08:04:06 am »
Is the real problem the parking on the private homestead?  Could they park on the campsite and just extend the business to camping for the day?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 09:18:08 am »
And yes we pay tax too - on bloomin everything :)

You need a better accountant then, go and see Sarah Lloyd at Synod Inn ;)

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2015, 07:47:35 pm »
No other accountant will touch me cos I have been royally "Pritchard+Co'ed" as they say round here.

There is no 'public' nuisance with neighbours - they would rather people park on the yard than in the passing spaces on the road.

There is only a few houses/farms that are still residential anyway - everything else is holiday home - and they complain about just about everything for their two weeks a year stay.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2015, 07:50:20 pm »
Just going to do it me thinks :)

Had a great result selling water on the yard in bottles today too - managed to sell two bottles for £1 a piece - only cost me 40p :)

Got to get the penies in the bank - or everything will be holiday lets and pembrokeshire wil just be shithole.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS