Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: dead in shell  (Read 3316 times)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
dead in shell
« on: April 03, 2010, 11:43:47 am »
Incy eggs started pipping on thursday/friday

Poor chicks, only one hatched friday - had the sack still attached and really struggled, died last night.
2 others were definitely pipping on friday
 all silent today, we opened the eggs... 3 dead in shell.
rest infertile.
Shells were really tough, but no evidence of the chicks even trying to break out.

Any sugggestions appreciated

New batch of eggs ordered for after easter, dont want to lose any more   :'(
Little Blue

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: dead in shell
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 11:56:36 am »
Better luck next time, keep trying.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 12:18:49 pm »
were the membranes dry and hard. if a egg has pipped but fails to make progress after about 12-24 hours i start to break the shell off i have found leaving them too long the memranes start to become stuck. if they are hatching very early check your tempreture. to have them all die you either messed up on humidity or the eggs became infected by a bug. do you disinfect after each hatch. better luck with the next hatch.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 10:08:43 pm »
thanks James, we will.

Paul, this was our first attempt, the new incy was disinfected before use.
the membranes did seem dry, the chick that didnt absorb th eegg sack had to be helped out, and died about 12 hours later.
 the others never even broke through the membrane.
the humidity was ok all through incubating, but wondered if they'd suffocated?

dont want to dwell on it, but need to get it right next time...
Little Blue

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 11:00:42 pm »
That's so sad little blue so sorry. Fingers crossed that the next batch do ok for you.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 11:36:16 pm »
Sorry little Blue - do hope your next lot of eggs are more successful.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 08:37:31 pm »
We've had chicks die mid-hatching uner a broody and it is heartbreaking, but like you said don't dwell on it and give it another go.  Good luck.  Where are you getting your eggs from and what are they?

smiffy

• Joined Jun 2008
    • http://www.northmoor-rarebreeds.com/
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 10:02:18 am »
incubating is a bit of an art....

you can get everything spot on and still have issues

i have an incubation guide in email format that lists all probable causes of failure... if anyone wants a copy email me at tracey_jaine@msn.com

bamford6

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 10:30:34 am »
iv lost mine last week 60 eggs firstly it seems the eggs were ok i would go 100 pecent humidity not the last 3 days. is youre thermomiter ok iff you could borrow a digital 1 and compare  it still are no fan 102 .. fan type 37.5 but i would go for humidity see whot the incubater runs at dry no water iff its 37 to 40 no water . the humidity out side is 73 percent so it should be high .with no water . we had over a foot off snow last week i did not keep my high on the humidity in mine it went to 65 percent for a fuew days lambing wether kids etc thats whots done mine just try and get the 2 most important right . whot incubate have you .YOU WILL CRACK IT BUT IT WILL TAKE TIME  . THINK LIKE THIS MY EGGS ARE WORTH £20 TO 25 POUND FOR SIX NEXT SALE MAY THE 1ST at least you havent lost a lot

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS