Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigmies???  (Read 2838 times)

Emma

• Joined Feb 2010
  • South West Somerset
Pigmies???
« on: April 03, 2010, 08:22:41 am »
I have been offered a Half bred Pigmie goat male for £120 and was just wondering what they are like to keep and could i keep 1 with my ram???
Emma's Dispatcher's . . . .  Intrested in having you're business advertised with door to door flyer's or newsletters at competitive prices then contact me at emmaogrady@hotmail.co.uk.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Pigmies???
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 08:29:31 am »
Morning Emma and welcome. I think for a cross breed that is expensive, I have paid from £50 - £250 for my Pygmy's but they are pure breeds and the wethered boys are the cheapest. I would say you must keep at least 2 goats as they really need company and doubt the company of a sheep would do.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 09:47:09 am »
I too would say £120 for a cross is expensive. Also he is an entire male, so he will be smelly (male goats not only produce a scent, but also have the lovely habit of spraying themselves, their pen, field and surroundings with their own urine) and will probably bahave quite obnoxiously. I don't see any reason why you couldn't keep him with your ram for company though, however I would take care introducing them.

Beth

Emma

• Joined Feb 2010
  • South West Somerset
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 09:55:40 am »
Thanks for the help guy's. I had been told by a friend that it was very expensive too . . . Does anyone know of another pigmie breeder in the somerset area???
Emma's Dispatcher's . . . .  Intrested in having you're business advertised with door to door flyer's or newsletters at competitive prices then contact me at emmaogrady@hotmail.co.uk.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 09:12:36 pm »
Yes I think 120 pounds is expensive for a cross bred male, however if you add up the cost of raising any goat kid you very quickly come to more than a 100 pounds. Disbudding (35 or thereabouts) and feeding about 2 ltrs of milk (or replacer even more expensive!) for about 3 - 4 months (that is about 120 days), then it becomes clear that you don't ever recover the cost of raising....

We are raising our male (castrated) GG for meat, but I am very aware that he will not cover his cost of bringing up or the cost of slaughter/butchering. Not sure whats going to happen next year.

But I guess I have just opened a can of worms...

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 10:42:42 pm »
Looking at the price of pygmies, they are very expensive, and some are £200 plus for females, and £150 for castrated boys.  Plus it quite often says they are not registered.  Really, unless you have nanny goats and want to breed,  I would not buy an intact male - the smell is overpowering and you cannot get rid of it.

I have numerous pygmy goats here.  Three of the females registered, and previous owner had them for showing .....but never did due to lack of time.  He gave me all of them free plus two castrated pygmy boys.  Likewise, I got the intact pygmy billy, and two in kid nannies, again free.

Emma

• Joined Feb 2010
  • South West Somerset
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 02:32:25 pm »
Thanks 4 the info Roxy . . . I have been told that they smell alot before lol . . . What's meant to be is meant to be, so i will just wait and see.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS