Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Depressed Turkey  (Read 4926 times)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Depressed Turkey
« on: June 08, 2008, 10:57:23 am »
 :turkey:
Our turkey, William, who is not for eating, is very depressed.  He only came because his "companions" - a brahma trio came here and he had no company.  He now doesnt like the brahmas, in fact he does not seem to like anyone very much.  From when he came as an outgoing, funny bird with a tendency to explore the area and to sit outside the fox den to rest, he has become almost agorophobic, I have to carry him out in the morning (no easy task).  He eats well, and occasionally still pushes his football around, but is very miserable.  Have tried to find him some company even offered him to a lady who had only a female turkey, so far no luck.

Reading this it does sound just a little touched, however I would like him to have quality of life.  Any (kind) suggestions much appreciated.  Thanks HM

ps:  Its not that Im against eating birds, we rear and eat out own chickens, I dont like turkey meat!

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
Re: Depressed Turkey
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 02:38:25 pm »
Black Head?  This parasite is carried by chickens,who don't seem to be affected by it.
The symptoms of blackhead are quite distinctive, but the name is misleading in that the head of the bird does not always turn dark.

The first symptoms are not specific but are suggestive of blackhead. The birds stand with their heads tilted downward or drawn to the body. Their feathers are ruffled; their wings droop. Their eyes are partly closed. At first the birds are alert when they are disturbed but they quickly become indifferent if they are seriously ill. Young birds may die within two or three days after the first signs of illness, but older birds may suffer for several days before dying or starting a slow recovery.

Just a suggestion.......... Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 07:26:32 am »
Hi Mr Ree, thanks for that, no his symptoms were much more that he seemed unhappy.  When he first came he followed us everywhere, even insisting in trying to sleep with the dogs.  He used to adore his reflection in the glass (I even started cleaning the windows so he could see better now thats real dedication .....!) He wasnt killed out at Xmas with his siblings as he failed to grow properly.  I think it must have been something he was born with.  Very sadly he died last night.  Thanks for your posting though, it has answered my own concerns.

Thanks HM

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 07:33:08 am »
I'm sorry William has passed away. Maybe he had some sort of genetic problem linked to why he didn't grow well.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 02:25:52 pm »
Thanks for your condolences, thats kind.  Yes I think he did. 

Townie

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Fife
    • http://www.townie.wordpress.com
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 06:16:10 pm »
Sorry to hear about William  ((hugs))

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 07:50:41 am »
Thanks everyone for your kind sympathy, William will be sorely missed.  The windows will never be as clean again.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS