Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Female pig struggling to walk,  (Read 3124 times)

nat2211

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Somerset
Female pig struggling to walk,
« on: April 02, 2010, 03:50:09 pm »

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone will be able to help me. I am very concerned about my 8 month old female pig.  I suspect she maybe pregnant as she has been running with a boar for 3 months.

She is quite large & i have separated her into her own pen, but over the last two weeks i have noticed she is struggling to walk. She spends the majority of the time lay down & when she does eventually stand up to eat, she only takes a few mouthfalls.

It started of that her front legs seemed very stiff but now she just seems to struggle to walk on all her legs. I watched her lie down earlier & she kneels first & waits about 5 minutes before pulling her back legs down.

I don't like to see any animal in  discomfort especially if they are pregnant,

I just wondered if this is a common side effect if she is pregnant or is it advisable to call the vet out? 

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
Re: Female pig struggling to walk,
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 04:14:03 pm »
We've had many sows /gilts pregnant and i can't say these symptoms are common. I would think it may be chronic erysipylis; please call the vet as pregnant or not ;if this is what she has got she needs antibiotics.This illness can lead to chronic arthritis and even cardiac problems;i hope it is something simple but it's best to call the vet;as it has gone on too long i feel.

chickenfeed

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 04:52:16 pm »
 :pig: i agree she needs a vet

if it is erysipylis she may well have raised blotches over her body (its also known as diamond disease).

could also be joint ill
but without seeing the pig it is hard to say as gavo says  a vet is needed sooner rather than later.

nat2211

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Somerset
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 07:02:33 pm »

OK

thanks for the advice, she doesn't have any raised blotches over her skin but i have called the vet so fingers crossed it is not to serious.

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 08:42:54 pm »
Please let us know how she gets on and what the vet reckons. Hope all is well soon best of luck

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 08:50:45 pm »
ere ere best of luck hope all good comes soon.
just a new pig keeper myself (meat only) just started to work on a pig farm, so your post
has helped me too.
keep me in touch how she gets on.
again hope all works out well for both of you. ;)
langdon :pig:
Langdon ;)

Gary

• Joined Nov 2008
  • axminster
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 10:34:46 am »
Hi what breed is she? It sounds like congenital syndrome, does she shake slightly??

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 02:52:50 pm »
How is she today?  Let us know how you are getting on.   :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS