Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Excess leeks and parsnips?  (Read 6507 times)

oink

• Joined Feb 2009
Excess leeks and parsnips?
« on: February 24, 2010, 04:10:09 pm »
Hi all,

I've still got loads of leeks and parsnips left which weren't eaten over the winter.  Any ideas for a recipe which I could freeze?

I'm gonna try a leeks and parsnip soup tomorrow so if anyone knows of a good recipe it would be much appreciated :yum:

Cheers guys

Oink
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 04:14:02 pm by oink »

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
Re: Excess leeks and parsnips?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 02:39:15 pm »
Oops Oink, I posted a leek and parsnip soup recipe in the other thread  :dunce: Duh, I missed this one.

oink

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 03:08:17 pm »
no worries  ;D

I made one yesterday and to be honest it was pretty bad.  I think its just more parsnips than I can take!

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 03:10:07 pm »
 ;D ;D Don't you like roast parsnips? Or you can make parsnip chips  ;D

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 03:39:46 pm »
Hello sage have you seen Pipers Parsnip Crisps they are potato crisps but parsnips instead of potato local farmers set the plant up on Elsham aerodrome Alex Albone is one of the partners His Great Grandfather is reputed to have made the first British tractor the IVEL Look it up in Wikki if you are interested :D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 04:29:55 pm »
I've tried some parsnip crisps, but not sure if they're from that brand. I've tried tapioca ones as well, they're nice too, but I daren't eat a lot of them.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 06:50:15 pm »
Cannot say I fancy frogspawn crisps sage
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 01:33:31 pm »
Um tapioca doesn't just come in pearl form (or frogspawn, as you put it) - they are a root veg, so you can make crisps from it  ;D

Lookee here:

http://www.halenhearty.co.uk/our_range/products/cassava_crisps/

My kids prefer them to normal crisps, so I tend to nick a couple else they'd be gone before I know it.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 05:29:45 pm »
That bread looks good on that site sage am tracking it on me Google later ;D :farmer:

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 04:15:09 pm »
Don't know if you still have parsnips - but I tried Nigel Slaters winter parsnip soup at the weekend and it is fandabbydocious!  :yum:  If you still need recipes I'll post it here

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 04:29:12 pm »
Hello G I like Nigel He cooks in my world really good down to earth food post it in recipes then more folk will see it hopefully cos its good intit! :D :farmer:

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 06:00:48 pm »
Curried parsnip soup is great, sweet and spicy.  ;D

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 06:16:42 pm »
Not a great lover of curried anything Jackie but a great fan of parsnip boiled or roast If i feel like it I put the slow speed slicer on the Chef and make crisps Parsnip instead of potato.I also do parsnip chips for a change.A little silly for you I phoned Rehab and asked if they could teach me how to do the splits She said " How flexible are you" I replied I can't manage Tuesdays or Thursdays I'm at Hope Street

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 11:45:16 am »
I notice that there are few suggestions for the leeks.

I use them (1 per person) thinly sliced (across) as the main vegetable in stir-fry meals. I am not an expert cook but a stir fry makes a nice change, uses lots of vegetable, cooks quickly (prep takes longer though) and can be served with several sorts of meat or fish.

The cooking oil is flavoured with chilli flakes, crushed garlic and ginger mixed before you start cooking. You can uses up to a teaspoon of chilli and 2 teaspoons of crushed garlic and the same of ginger to suit your taste. I would start with about half these amounts so as not to kill anyone! You can increase these or reduce from there as you get used to the result. You need about half a cup of light oil - peanut is nice or rape will do. The vegetables have to be cut thin to cook quickly as does the meat or fish.

Other vegetables can be anything green (cabbage, pak choi, chinese lettuce, etc), mushrooms, peppers, red onion, etc. The choice is basically whatever is available. I haven't tried root veg but it might work if very thinly sliced and there is not too much. I usually use 2 or 3 veg but more is better as long as you don't overdo the total quantity. Try to mix colours to make the meal look interesting.

The meat/fish options are anything handy the will slice thinly and is reasonably tender. This includes chicken, pork, beef, prawns, salmon, trout. You don't need a lot of meat/fish. You can also add toasted nuts like almonds or cashews for interest.

Serve over white or brown rice or any of the oriental noodles (spaghetti would do as well).

I don't have a wok or a powerful burner on my stove so I cook each component - starting with the leaks then peppers - in a thin bottomed stainless frying pan which gets hot quickly. Each component is then parked in a glass bowl with the mixture being stirred as the next veg is added. The first veg continues to soften in the bowl from the residual heat so don't overcook in the pan. The veg mix is then placed on the rice/noodles and the meat/fish placed on top of that.

Cooking the veg and meat takes no more than 10 minutes, usually nearer 5. The rice/noodles take 15-20 minutes so they are started first.

Leaks cooked this way are not chewy or stringy and their slight onion flavour goes well in the mix. Red onions can also be used with them as they don't have a strong flavour either but I would avoid white onions with the leaks.

NN

Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS