Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My ewe has a hernia!!- advice needed please  (Read 2441 times)

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
My ewe has a hernia!!- advice needed please
« on: April 02, 2010, 09:50:48 am »
Hiya,

i have just done an inspection of my four ewes ( all in lamb) to discover that one of them has developed a small hernia. Its about 3-4 inches long and is just behind the ziphisternum  - as far forward on the abdomen before you hit the centre of the rib cage. This ewe is due to lamb in two weeks time. She wasnt scanned, but by the look of her she has either twins or possibly triplets.

Last year she carried twins with out problem. She is three or four years old now. She is not in any distress and is eating and moving about well.

Any advice? Can one get a truss to support the abdomen as she enters the last stages of pregnancy and then labour?  I will try to keep her quiet, not panic her or cause sudden stressful forceful movements- basic human advice...i am a nurse!

I know i will have to cull her later ( I will prob put her for mutton rather than sell her on - wouldnt like to think of her out on a hill in lamb with a rupturing hernia) but would like to try to get her through the pregnancy with out causing her any problems.

Has anyone got experience with this sort of issue??? Is it going to get worse, how can I help her. Do I call the vet now or see how things develop over the weekend?
Cheers Emma T
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 03:17:41 pm by pikilily »
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS