Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding bread  (Read 1817 times)

perkhar

• Joined Sep 2015
Feeding bread
« on: October 06, 2015, 12:12:57 pm »
Wondering what people's views are on feeding bread to sheep. What are the pros and cons health wise
It would work economically for me as I can get a regular supply but I don't want to make a decision sole based on the cost of feed but for the general health of the flock.

They would be given concentrates and foliage too of course but as a wee top up...

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Feeding bread
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 12:30:27 pm »
I've not heard of anyone feeding bread to their sheep, other than maybe just a little treat. 

Mine get hay when the grass has gone and a few concentrates but most of the year get by on just grass or the odd (very odd) sheep nut to keep them tame.

Were you thinking of the bread on a daily basis?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

perkhar

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 12:39:25 pm »
No just no and again maybe once a week. I have concentrates that I'd like to be feeding through out the winter along with hay/ silage.. But wondered if anyone was feeding it more regular than that...

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 01:52:02 pm »
I would research it before doing anything. This is one of many papers about it, but please read more than this before doing it.http://www.asap.asn.au/livestocklibrary/2002/hethrington1B.pdf
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

perkhar

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 02:08:48 pm »
Very interesting read came across it just now on the Internet whilst looking at other sites worth a read for anyone. Thanks for that

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 02:21:08 pm »
Be careful about acidosis

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS