Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bleeding after disbudding  (Read 3927 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Bleeding after disbudding
« on: April 01, 2010, 09:38:00 pm »
I had my two BT girls disbudded this morning, but both of them did bleed from one of the scars each afterwards. Not sure if the bumped them in the car (they travel in my dog travelling crate at the moment) or afterwards in their pen. One stopped, but the other had to be taken back this afternoon, and the vet managed to get it stopped quite quickly. Just wondering what kind of powder/spray I would use for that if they bump it again? I don't want to use the purple spray stuff as it is quite close to their eyes? Forgot to ask the vet what the blue stuff is he put on.

Did I read somewhere on this forum that cornflour is good to use for that? Maybe not, but I am starting to have a bit of sleep deprivation, out every night to check the ewes... so far one set of premature twins in the snowstorm on Wednesday at 6 am (I lamb outside), one of which died and the other one is still with us, back with her mum now, but not very active...

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: Bleeding after disbudding
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 10:35:32 am »
Hi Anke, yes I mentioned cornflour. You can use antibiotic wound powder, but if it's bleeding quite a lot, that can just run off with the blood, whereas cornflour packed onto the scur will go completely solid. Our vet suggested it to us when an adult billy we had lost his big scur, and he couldn't cauterise the bleeding. I'm not sure what the blue stuff the vet used would have been, you can get an antibiotic spray which is a greeny/blue.

I feel for you with the sleep deprivation- I am just getting back to normal after several nights disturbed sleep with Surf and Evita kidding!

Beth

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 07:57:16 pm »
cornflour mm really interesting will keep that in mind.
beth you will be glad to know that i got that lawson tree down today where the goats are during the day time.
dont know if you recall us talking about it, you advised me to take as much away as possible.
spent the whole day then chopping up firewood.
got freinds right up to next wed. so there will be wine and dinning with a lush warm fire ;)
hope you had a good day :goat:
langdon
Langdon ;)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 09:02:46 pm »
Thanks Beth, good to know and easy to keep in the goatshed. Anke

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 10:34:51 pm »
Just come across this thread and thiught I would make a post.

There is a product specifically made to stop bleeding, and is great after debudding Goats and cattle.

Its called Traumastypt and comes in a pocket size aerosol.

Used a lot on horses as well and working dogs.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

ClaireF

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 10:40:11 pm »
The blue will be Engemycin/Terremycin spray, to stop infection.
Don't know if you can use Hornex paste on goats. You can use it on calves and it stops the need for disbudding.

McRennet

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 11:10:17 pm »
On the dairy farm I have worked on in the past the blue Engemycin spray was a godsend!

However I have a 'big shop' to do tomorrow and guess what, corn-flour will definitely be on that list!

McR

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS