Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: colostrum - how soon?  (Read 2721 times)

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
colostrum - how soon?
« on: April 01, 2010, 06:31:49 pm »
How soon after it is born should a lamb start to suckle. How long should I leave it before I get involved. Do I need to help get the lamb on the teat if it's not finding it? Is there a point when I step in with a stomach tube? If so, powdered or do I try to express from the mother?

So many questions so little time
!

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Re: colostrum - how soon?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 07:02:25 pm »
SOme people say within 24 hours, but i ve been told by our good sheep friend that within 3 hours of birth. We only intervene if the ewe isnt being helpful. Will either turn ewe over and get the lambie to latch on that way or we will use colostrum from Collate (Nettex) or the red yellow and blue packet from the local farmers co op, cant for thelife of me remember itsnamenow ???

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 07:44:24 pm »
Hi,

I agree with the above - If the lamb does not suckle within a couple of hours then we latch the lamb onto its mother.

If the is not enough milk, then we give a feed of colostorum via bittle or tube if a very weak lamb.

Make of colostorum is not important, there are many brands out there - we stock the nettex super colostorum.

Thanks

Gareth
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 08:51:35 pm »
countrywide do powder packs of colostrum at £2.00 pack weve found most usefull as a couple of our ryelands hadnt had much milk.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 09:59:31 pm »
some first time lambers are a but difficult about letting the lamb(s) suckle, so I always watch them and if they back off as lamb tries to latch on, they are penned (usually I try and wait until lamb has found teat) and I hold the ewe and guide lamb. I wouldn't up-end the ewe so soon after birth, all her innards are loose and a bit out of place. after a few feeds mum is usually ok, although I had one last year that had to have the lambs brought to her and placed on for about a week... she was great mother after that though...

I wouldn't wait for more than an hour before putting the lamb onto the teat, but it depends a bit on the breed (are they up quickly or a bit slow in general) and also if it was slow (and difficult) or quick, easy birth. In preference I always milk the ewe, and only use the powdered colostrum if triplets or really the ewe doesn't have any. If another one is about to lamb (or has just lambed) milk her for some if she has plenty, even if only for the first feed.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS