Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How old is too old?  (Read 3565 times)

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
How old is too old?
« on: September 28, 2015, 12:36:36 pm »
I didn't want to hyjack the previous thread but I was wondering if anyone has any remarkably old ewes still breeding.  I don't know the age of my oldest ewes because of a historical lack of records or tags but I'm assured some are over 10 years old.  Is that possible?
Never ever give up.

crofterswife

• Joined Apr 2015
Re: How old is too old?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 01:16:09 pm »
We had a blackie have a lamb at 15. Unusual but not unheard off. She was a great mother.
She lived till almost 20.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 01:42:30 pm »
As I have said in the previous thread, breed does make a difference.  I keep Primitives and have had several ewes which have lambed, with healthy twins, at 15, and every year up until then.  There have been others I have had to retire at 10, as they can't keep condition on through gestation and lactation.
My oldest ewe at the moment is 19, the next down is 18, and the oldest to lamb this year is 15.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Keepers

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 02:25:41 pm »
My oldest ewe is a shetland cross, I bought her 4 years ago, she was a full mouth ewe when I bought her and she had been with the last owner for 6 years before that but the owner had no idea how old she was when she joined that flock, so I cannot say how old she is now, she is at least ten I suppose

She resembles a shetland, weighs 40-42kgs, but she has shape to her and her lamb/lambs reach 40kgs in June/July each year, she has a much better body than any of the other shetlands and is much broader, her lambs have bred each year as ewe lambs are are bigger than she is, even when she was put to a shetland

The last owner told me she was a shetland/hebridean, but there is no way she is, she must be half chunky breed of some sort  :thinking:

I have known many old ewes, the oldest being a suffolk/texel cross who died when she was 17 I think

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 07:40:59 am »
Look after them an they will look after you I say you treat them well they will give you lambs for longer

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 08:05:12 am »
She resembles a shetland, weighs 40-42kgs, but she has shape to her and her lamb/lambs reach 40kgs in June/July each year, she has a much better body than any of the other shetlands and is much broader, her lambs have bred each year as ewe lambs are are bigger than she is, even when she was put to a shetland
Colouring depends on the cross. Our Badger Face x Southdowns come out looking just like any other white faced mule you'd see at market, sometimes with slight mottling on the face and more wool at the top of the legs.  The very distinctive BF (Torddu) colouring never appears.

Keepers

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 10:21:20 am »
Colouring depends on the cross. Our Badger Face x Southdowns come out looking just like any other white faced mule you'd see at market, sometimes with slight mottling on the face and more wool at the top of the legs.  The very distinctive BF (Torddu) colouring never appears.

Yes I have found the same, have only ever had white crossbred lambs out of the shetlands, no matter what colour mum is, and no matter what the sire I have used is, although some of the white lambs have had brown legs (or a few brown spots)

My little old shetland (above) is very deeply fawn katmoget marked, she always has white lambs

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 10:57:12 am »
My oldest girl is 17 but had her last twins at 14, I decided then to retire her before I risked anything going wrong, she is now totally spoilt and keeps the ewe lambs company.

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 12:59:19 pm »
Thanks all.  It looks like there's plenty of life in the old girls yet. 
Never ever give up.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS