Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sponges?  (Read 1968 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
sponges?
« on: October 05, 2015, 01:09:12 am »
seeing comments about these in the sheep section.
Has anybody used them on goats and whats the procedure? and timeline?.
good idea or bad?

I have 2 goats I want to take to a male some distance away, so if I can get them both there at once it would make life a lot easier.
He doesn't do boarding, using an isolation unit.
they usually come into season within a day or 2 of each other. One is in season now. do I wait for them to have been in season before using sponges?
Thanks, any info appreciated.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: sponges?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 06:00:29 am »
Easiest is to sponge them for 14 days, putting the sponges in so that you go over the 21 days by a couple of days. I change on day 7 for fresh sponges. Goats will come into season about 24 to 36 hours after. If you take out in the evening you should b able to go in the afternoon on day 2 after taking out, if that makes sense?

I don't use PMSG for natural service.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 04:59:56 pm »
Thanks Anke, that does make sense. So I'd put them in at day 8 or 9 after her season?
I did google after my posting, I was a bit worried about PMSG, so it's better if I don't need that. I'm still trying to decided whether its worth it, found out it's only acouple of hours drive, but it would be better to get them both at once than drive over there 2 days running.

Anyone know if I can get just 2 sponges ( or 4 is I do the boers as well) or 8 if I do as Anke and put fresh ones in at 7 days?

how do I get them (through the vet?) and costs?

decisions decisions  ::)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 05:18:05 pm »
Your vet should be able to get any number of sponges - mine come packed in dog poop bag, I guess that way the vets isn't falling foul of the plastic-bag tax.... ;D

Can't find a bill right now, but not that expensive if it reduces your travelling time. (and in my case also results in batch kidding rather than one a week... and going on for ever).

Friend of mine just took her goats to somewhere to be mated after sponging (but she used PMSG) and found that they were still very much in season 48 hours after taking sponges out, so you have a fairly good window to go.

Day 8 or 9 after season should be fine, as long as you are over the 21 day mark for the later goat.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 02:10:50 am »
My other togg was in season today, so I'd be looking at 9 days from now?
I think I'l have to go with this, otherwise I'll fall foul of 6 day standstill?
If he uses an isolation unit, when I've taken one goat there and brought her back, does that put me on standstill? or can I take the other one to the same place 4 days later?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS