Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Which variety of apple and where from?  (Read 6359 times)

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
Re: Which variety of apple and where from?
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2015, 07:42:49 pm »
The guy that taught me grafting (I've been two years and still only 50% success so will go again in February!) sells 2-3yo trees that he's grafted and I've had a couple of wee apples off some of the 4yo ones but not yet a full size juicy one.  That is on dwarf rootstock, I'd have to check the numbers of the size to be sure.  Anyway, he is Dutch, the secretary of the Newburgh Orchard Group and a huge apple expert, so why don't you come up to visit and see what he can tell you.  The fruit markets are on Saturday mornings at the moment, selling apples and very likely some of his young trees.  Or I can see if he's around midweek to show you his huge greenhouse full of potted grafts!If I remember to dig out his email you can ask all your appley questions of him, esp the central Scotland suited ones, but don't ask him about stone fruit, not his thing!

I have planted Discovery, Bloody Ploughman (local Tayside heritage type), Cox and I am dubious about my James Grieve just now.

Plums you can't get better off the tree than a Victoria - I lost 3 and a bitter cherry to silverleaf and have just one old Victoria growing but other than this year (one fruit survived the frosted blossoms) I usually eat several every time I go by to see ponies or sheep, or just to go pick a plum!

Don't give up on your tatty apple trees just yet, by all means plant a couple more but a good prune can do them the world of good and they'll be there while your new ones grow up.  If nothing else, even sour tasting ones left long enough will stew and make a decent crumble..
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Which variety of apple and where from?
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2015, 08:34:55 pm »
I think I need a chat with you about this Ellie since you know my back garden trees and pruned them nicely for me.  You haven't seen the front paddock ones though and they are the problem ones.  But I asked about plums too as I really prefer them to apples anyway.  The tree I have produced delicious plums last year - 20 of them, lovely red tasty juicy ones, but not one this year.  :'( :'( :'(  I'm not mad keen on Victorias I'm afraid - ate too many of them when we lived in Aberdeenshire - regularly had 80lbs on two of our old trees.

I've given all my tatty apples to an unemployed friend who is starting up a hamper business to make jelly.

I can't come to the market tomorrow (unless it's still going about noon) or next week, but if it's still on the week after, I'll toddle up.

And I MUST look at your paperwork!!!!  :surrender:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS