Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Aging spaniel questions  (Read 2888 times)

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
Aging spaniel questions
« on: October 02, 2015, 07:59:48 pm »
Hi all.
We're thinking a trip to the vet is on the cards but usually here is a good place to get lots of helpful advice too.
Our 14 year old spaniel "Bear" has had one or two fairly concerning changes in his behaviour recently.
Firstly is that despite never having been a chewer as a puppy he has suddenly started grabbing anything he can lay his paws on and munching on it. recently my wife's Ipod and headphones, plastic bags, a melon, envelopes, etc etc. we wondered whether his ancient teeth needed soothing and he has had some hide chews which he attacks with relish, has never shown interest before, but still doesn't stop him nicking anything to chew.
this week for the first time since puppyhood he has been pooing in the night.
we are thinking it might be an idea to move him onto senior food as he and his 15 year old terrier arch enemy Barney, have remained on chudleys working crunch all their lives. I don't know much about senior food though, bear is amazing for his age, 14 going on 2 most of the time, though he does have arthritis and has PLT tablet every day. . any thoughts gratefully received.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Aging spaniel questions
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 08:48:46 pm »
My 14 year old Brittany sleeps in my room on a chair and has taken to getting up and padding around the room at night.  She hasn't been eating her usual cobbyddog kibble so i have put her onto raw food. Comes in store cupboard packaging, with the weights on them, various varieties in case she goes off one.  Far less poo too, and she has become more sprightly.  She has been chewing things too and I discovered her gums are red, so I've put bonjela on them and she is much better.
Hope that gives you some comfort  Freckles is now a long way off going to the vet for the last time after seeing her chase a pheasant in the field this afternoon!  :excited:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 02:32:42 pm »
My 13 yr old Lab is on Chudleys Senior, moved him onto it a couple of years ago as he was starting to hobble around and his hips were playing him up. He has done better on it, infact all my 4 dogs are on it (youngest is 8yrs and went off his food in favour of it). He still likes to walk/bounce around but I think the oils in the food help his old bones.

I haven't had the chewing issue though, might be worth getting his teeth checked, maybe they are hurting him.
________
Caroline

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 06:47:19 pm »
 :-* :-* to Bear and Barney from me.  Both lovely old boys.  I would get his remaining teeth checked. 
Hope you are all well and sorry about the hay.  Has Mouse ventured out yet?

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 07:56:08 pm »
I think a trip to the vets for some tests. They hide so much from us its easy for us to think these changes are nothing where it may be something sig nificant. Dont want to worry you but some of the symptoms sound familiar and the outcome wasnt good in th end.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 07:09:21 pm »
Thanks all ( Hi BC- boys send their love- that pesky cat still more in than out).

Took Bear to vets yesterday and much as we had suspected/feared, it seems he is exhibiting many of the signs of dementia. I hadn't used the word in OP but we can google with the best of them !!. Physically he is in fabulous shape for his age, with a good strong heart and no sign of later life obesity, but his marbles may be beginning to slide. He has been put on Vitofyllin for a trial period just to see. For now he is happy and healthy, the occasional "accident", can be coped with and I guess right now the only unknown is how long ?
He has been such a constant and consistent boy all his life that some of the more subtle changes in his way of being have been quite pronounced so maybe its still early days and we've got ages . His mate Barney the terrier on the other hand is such a quirky, inconsistent kind of chap that we would probably never notice if he had anything like this. cheers again

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS