Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: MINI CATTLE  (Read 8941 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: MINI CATTLE
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2015, 11:26:44 am »
just looked them up they're magnificent beasts  :farmer:
https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=lowline%20cattle
Question is though what would be the cost of one?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Cowgirl

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2015, 11:30:35 am »
Remember that in UK we still have the Native (Traditional, Original Population) Angus - they are also a rare breed and until recently were classed as Critically Endangered by the RBST. These old bloodlines should be preserved, and people who are not too bothered about too much size, such as smallholders, are ideal folk to keep them going. They are the home grown version of the Lowline Angus (and cheaper, I suspect).

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2015, 11:35:40 am »
One of the sites says 100% AA, just bred from required conformation I suppose.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2015, 12:55:33 pm »
Remember that in UK we still have the Native (Traditional, Original Population) Angus - they are also a rare breed and until recently were classed as Critically Endangered by the RBST. These old bloodlines should be preserved, and people who are not too bothered about too much size, such as smallholders, are ideal folk to keep them going. They are the home grown version of the Lowline Angus (and cheaper, I suspect).
I somehow think they would be more expensive, as they are relatively new to the UK, in canada they cost about $600 for one animal, not too bad.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2015, 01:27:44 pm »

The original population are a smaller version of the AA you usually see.  Small, light cattle to finish on poor grazing and outside all year.  Whether it's Suffolk sheep or Modern Hereford cattle, when you breed for greater size you also lose some of the characteristics that made it a good breed in the first plce.

Cowgirl

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2015, 02:24:34 pm »
Anyone interested in Native Angus should Google website of Dunlouise Angus - sorry I'm not good at posting links.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2015, 12:55:03 am »
Confused. Welsh Blacks are normal-sized native cattle. What is it these folks have?

It's a mini version , the animals stand about three foot six to the shoulder now they are fully grown .

I spent a few minutes stroking & talking to them some of them .. found it very therapeutic indeed for me  ,  :idea: possibly for the beasts as well :roflanim: .
 Next time I go there I'll ask for more info .
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 01:03:57 am by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2015, 09:42:47 am »
Anyone interested in Native Angus should Google website of Dunlouise Angus - sorry I'm not good at posting links.

Quite fascinating.  The bulls on their bulls page have a much more rounded backside than I'd expect - if we see a backside like that on a commercial Angus we mutter about 'a touch of Limi or British Blue' !

I was getting quite interested in them until I saw the pic of the bull next to a person - he'd be lost without a trace in our Cumbrian wet lands! (And the one standing in mud has his wizzle far nearer the mud than I would like my bull to do.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS