Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Basic lambing supplies  (Read 6511 times)

SueAllen

• Joined Apr 2009
Basic lambing supplies
« on: March 31, 2010, 07:30:03 pm »
I have 3 ewes who may be pregnant (pretty certain two are, not completely sure about the other one)  It's their first time....and mine!!  I have several knowledgeable friends to call upon if things get tricky (and the vet obviously) but want to be able to handle any slightly tricky situations myself if at all possible.  I can't seem to find a 'sensible' list of things to have to hand in preparation.  They will, I hope, be giving birth outside or in the field shelter and they can be taken in there after lambing if needs be.  I've got a rough idea of what I might need but I would welcome anyone's list of useful stuff  ;D.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Re: Basic lambing supplies
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 07:49:32 pm »
Iodine spray, colostrum just in case, bottles, measurig jug, docking rings and the stretcher (if you not going to dock, ignore that)  Ewe nuts to give the little mummys a little extra after lambing, small buckets for water so that lambies dont fall in them, gloves, lube, high energy blocks, of course some of these are if the ewe needs a little help. :D

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 08:13:01 pm »
Hi,

Depends how far you want to go in preparation.....the list could be very long or very short.

We reccommend as a bare minimum :

* Iodine Spray or Umbilical Spray
    * Elasticator Rings x 100
    * Ring Applicator
    * Lamb Tonic
    * Feeder Bottle + 2 Teats
    * Umbilical Clamps
    * Box of 100 Latex Gloves
    * Marker Spray - Match sheep to lambs
    * Colostorum  Super Concentrate x 250 g pot.

The above should be sufficient as a starter lambing kit for non-problematic lambing situations. However, there may be instances when additional equipment or products are needed (eg. Stomach feeding syringes, Uteri-supports, Lambing Ropes etc). It just depends how much you want to be prepared and how much you want to spend!

We have put the above together as a "Basic Lambing Pack"

Thanks

Gareth
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 09:06:53 pm »
just been on a lambing course,, and as a result of what they told us there, my lambing box includes:

colostrum
teats
bottle
stomach tube
iodine
castration/docking rings
the applicator for the rings
lambing rope
heat lamp

i think that's all.  the rest i reckon i can get if i need it.

the only only things i'd like to have are:
glucose
syringe
antibiotic (but not enough sheep to justify & will just get if i need it)

hope this helps

laura

SueAllen

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 06:34:05 am »
Thanks all!  ;D  I knew it was the right thing to do to post on here!

Those lists pretty much echo what I had thought I might need....

I have the majority of stuff either for general animal use or from having orphans before - bottles, iodine, marker, heat lamp, syringes -and I am planning on borrowing the rings and applicator from another local smallholder.

Rope - I am assuming this can be any thin nylon rope?

Stomach tube - now that's where I have a problem.  Not in getting it but using it confidently.  How difficult is it to syringe liquids down a lambs throat rather than risk getting the tubing wrong?

Colostrum was on my list but not lamb tonic so I will add that.  Or would glucose be the same?

NLL

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 07:50:01 am »
we lambed for the first time this year and had to revive two lambs with the lamb tonic.we found it quite impressive.We also didnt have the nerve to use the stomach tube even after the vet demonstrated it on a healthy lamb.All sickly lambs are out in the barn now together and we have got a couple of ewes left to lamb, one of which is in a prolapse harness.Any tips for that please.

SueAllen

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 11:46:51 am »
Well that's a definite thumbs up for the tonic then!

If you didn't tube them how did you get stuff down them?  I am assuming it can be syringed with care?

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 12:06:15 pm »
if its a weak lamb then you will need to tube feed. you would be best to get some glucose and inject before stomach feeding.

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 02:14:24 pm »
Hi,

If you are contemplating injecting glucose read up on it carefully first and before you do make sure that the lamb is not cold.

If the lamb will not (or can't) bottle feed then a lamb reviver is a must - you cant just squirt liquid into the mouth. There are basically 2 types - Gravity fed, or one with a syringe - its all a matter of personal choice. and they dont cost a fortune.

Best Regards

Gareth
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 03:10:18 pm »
we had that arguement last year, it was thought best to give the glucose before warming as it saves them from using there last energy reserve to get warm. when tube feeding make sure its in the stomach and make sure you kink the tube as you remove it. the last thing you want to do is kill your lamb with kindness. lastly if you think there is a problem don't wait do something.

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 06:34:57 pm »
I tubed for the first time today - it was a lot easier than I thought.  I introduced the tube to the lambs mouth and gently fed it in.  The lamb just swallowed it.  they dont panic in the same way that humans do (I know I would hate someone sticking a tube down my throat).  This is our first year too and we only have 7 ewes but so far, 5 lambs all doing well, despite a couple of sticky starts.  We did have to have one in by the aga for a couple of hours.  I then made it a jumper so it could go back out with it's mum when it perked up.

jumper is off today and he is thriving.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 06:35:42 pm »
Hee hee hee, that is gorgeous.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 06:41:56 pm »
would that be lambswool.

Gary

• Joined Nov 2008
  • axminster
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 06:53:04 pm »
thats nice and the jumper is rather striking too!!!!!!!

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 10:09:45 pm »
I can see a new business opportunity here!!  Could have done with one of those last night as first-timer managed to push out her lamb with one leg back and nearly two if I hadn't managed to hook out the other before she pushed again.

Poor little thing was wobbling and very weak for first 24 hours but still alive despite the trauma and my frantic efforts to revive her.  She must have swallowed some fluid before I got to her and chest was crackling a bit but better tonight.

Must remember and get some more tonic, it was the one thing missing from my box of tricks.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS