Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can I leave my sponges in slightly longer?  (Read 2795 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Can I leave my sponges in slightly longer?
« on: October 01, 2015, 07:12:34 am »
Normally leave my sponges in for 14 days but I'm just wondering if I could leave them in for an extra day? I'll ask my vet when he comes out next but I just wanted to see what you all think :)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 07:22:20 am by Hillview Farm »

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: Can I leave my sponges in slightly longer?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 12:06:55 pm »
I have just done this and all is well  :thumbsup:

Sponges due out last Sunday and had forgotten to phone the vet before the weekend and organise PMSG. 

Through best friends help managed to get the PMSG on the Monday and sponges came out that evening - 24 hrs beyond 14 days.   

Put the ewes in with the tup at 36 hrs on the Wednesday morning before work.  One tupped immediately! then when I got home from work all the rest marked too.

So .... didn't cause a problem but would be interesting to see what the vet says.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 03:22:10 pm »
I asked the vet could they stay in for 16 days as wad going to rethink  timings and it's difficult with limited time off and he said  no I'd be pushing my luck.

However I've heard someone going for 18  days with no problems.

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 05:54:07 pm »
Interesting .. did the vet explain why it would be pushing your luck.    I presume there is only so much hormone in the sponge and the ewe will come in season?  however, a friend once told me that when a sponge was stuck in one of their ewes the vet said it wouldn't come in season until the sponge came out.

Mine were fine at 15 days so maybe one more day would be ok? 

I have to time mine to lamb in the one week so that I can take time off.

Hope it works out ok for you.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS