Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lamb scours  (Read 3805 times)

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
lamb scours
« on: March 31, 2010, 12:02:45 pm »
one of the new lambs (3 days) has yellow scour, not a huge amount but sticky around the tail. Is this normal due to new food/envornment. Seems happy enoungh in itself

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
Re: lamb scours
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 01:42:43 pm »
Hi Shrek!  Yes, perfectly normal.  All mine over a day old have this too.  Lamb poo is always this colour and very sticky - a nuisance to clean off anything.  One thing though, always make sure the lambs tail is not stuck to its bottom, preventing it from pumping out anymore - this happens frequently!! 

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 02:43:22 pm »
Thanks Morri, how's it going with the lambing? Sounds like you are short on sleep!

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 05:02:03 pm »
Yep!  You've seen my post about the rejected lamb then!  Lambing has been OK thanks - one more to pop then thats it.   It was all over in 6 days last year, but this year, after a late start, it appears the ram took a week off!!! There was a break in proceedings of several days.  Have now got this tiny, demanding little ewe lamb to care for.  If she wasn't so tiny and needing the warmth I'd shove her in the shed in a pen amongst the others like I normally do, but this time it wouldn't be fair. In all, now have ten lambs, would have been eleven but one twin born dead.  Think the last one to go is a single.
How is your lambing coming along?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS