Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hazelnut / filbert trees  (Read 2700 times)

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
hazelnut / filbert trees
« on: September 29, 2015, 02:53:24 pm »
I was thinking of planing some hazel in my garden this winter, I just wonder if they would grow here as I don't see any growing round about. I am in the north east of Scotland the soil is a bit acidic but can apply lime. Plenty of beech willow hawthorn ash birch spruce pine holly growing well where I am.
Would be great to have my own hazel nuts, Any advice?

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: hazelnut / filbert trees
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 03:43:34 pm »
I have a friend up near Forress who grows loads and there is a hazel tree nursery just south of Aberdeen so you should be fine.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 04:23:50 pm »
It seems to take years before you get a harvest  :(
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 09:12:34 pm »
I was thinking of planing some hazel in my garden this winter, I just wonder if they would grow here as I don't see any growing round about. I am in the north east of Scotland the soil is a bit acidic but can apply lime. Plenty of beech willow hawthorn ash birch spruce pine holly growing well where I am.
Would be great to have my own hazel nuts, Any advice?

The local naturally regenerated wood land around here is acidic coalmine clay , sometimes over laid with several metres of Victorian coalmine slag as well .
The local to me land is is growing loads of Filberts ,  a few nettles but not masses ,,Brambles , Oak trees, Sally Willow , Holly .. males & females, some Laurels , Leylandi , Ash , Acers & fruit trees to mention but a few

On the normal ground there is a black limestone base about three metres down .... It's wet and mossy out in the woodland at the back of my garden , there are no end of self seeded or squirrel seeded  Filberts in it.

So I guess they might be grow-able almost anywhere .

Earlier this year I had the joy of removing eight sprouting hazel nuts and a dozen or more sprouting acorns out my veg beds ( soil free  )which are only slightly acidic , being almost PH neutral  .

Would you like me to see if the squizzers have left any half decent nuts on the branches  and then pop them in the freezer to stratify them for a month or so  to  bring them to a state of being able to grow easily next year ?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 09:24:09 pm by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 09:10:48 am »
I planted suckers from my sisters trees and they're doing really well.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 08:17:42 pm »
I started to do a bit of leaf sweeping around the pond area this lunchtime ..
The squirrels here have been really busy  .. I only found four whole filberts and literally thousands of opened up ones .

Despite a massive acorn harvest there are not many acorns  on the ground either the magpies seem to have stripped the three oaks with the assistance of the squirrels .

Devon  Lady  , please would you confirm that you used hazel suckers & not cuttings as I have  someone who wants fifty or so hazel from me .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 10:07:38 am »
Yes, suckers! My sister gathered them for me 10 years ago and they are dripping nuts this year!!

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 05:08:03 pm »
Thanks
Dave

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS