Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: wooden pallets  (Read 12250 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
wooden pallets
« on: March 31, 2010, 10:33:22 am »
i remember there was a post on ere about bale twine ' farmers freind ' as some of us might call it.
people gave their ideas as what they use it for, i thougt it was a great topic as i love the stuff.
i was thinking then of wooden pallets again another thing trhat can come in handy
around the place for so many things.
how do you use yours ?
Langdon ;)

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Re: wooden pallets
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 11:00:00 am »
Hiya Langdon, sorry we been mega busy  :wave:

Thought of more things since last time....Tying hurdles, safety ties for tying up ponies, mending haynets, tying up gates, (every horse field we have is tied both ends) tying up rugs, (for ponies that will insist on undoing belly straps  ::) )   as belts, for cutting through other bale strings when knife is no to hand, as of last night tying down chicken enclosures, for attaching lightng boards to trailers, as a sweat scraper when bathing ponies :D  Always got some in pocket :D

As for pallets have been known to take off the bottom bits of it (the blocks and timber that runs along the blocks) leaving just the top, filled in gaps with 2 be 1( or similar)  for stable wall panels and door for Shettie :D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 11:04:02 am by Hellybee »

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 12:12:01 pm »
Makeshift temporary pig housing

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 01:31:39 pm »
we make duck houses out of them, the solid ones get used as raised areas in the dog kennel. But mainly firewood, we get a curtain sided waggon load delivered for free.Chop them up on a huge table saw we got from a croft sale for twenty quid and cosey toes then.

Lavinia

• Joined Nov 2009
  • Midlothian
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 02:34:53 pm »
Hi Langdon

We use loads of pallets for everything, we bought a book on amazon called "build it .... With Palllets" it is written by Joe Jacobs only cost us a few quid, but the ideas we got from it have saved us a fortune.............. he also wrote another book called "build it" its about DIY projects for farmers, smallholdrs and gardeners... Hope this is of help

Lavinia
Lavinia

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 09:30:15 pm »
i like the sound of a door ummm
we need a door for a goat shed, i wonder could i come up with something from pallets?
glad to know things are ok with ye guys ;) what do you think of the weather >:( im wading all over the place!
do you still fancy meeting up in summer, beth my wife thinks its a great idea ;D
how is all your animals?
langdon
Langdon ;)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 09:31:10 pm »
well done mate ;)  :pig: will keep that in mind
Langdon ;)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 09:33:57 pm »
FIREWOOD  >:( !!!!!
this was the last idea i was hoping to see on ere, thats thats awfull  ;D only joking man!
everyone to their own needs, cant beat warm toes ;)
Langdon ;)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 09:39:02 pm »
got that one ' build it projects' what a guy!!!
im jealous of these kinda guys who make things look so simple.
if you dont mind me asking what kind of things are in the other book.
did see it online and thought gosh i gota get that, now that you reminded me,
guess what? i am going toi get it!!!!
then we can keep each other up todate with what we are making!!
Langdon ;)

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 11:10:45 pm »
we get freeby pallets from work ,apart from thousands of nails in the woodburner the corner blocks and slats make super firewood, also use them to make lambing pens and its all free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ::) ::)

trefnantbach

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 12:03:45 am »
So far built a goose house and clad it with overlapping feather-edged board and topped it with a felt sloping roof also a crate to go on open trailer to collect weaners - bolt the sides and top together and hold it down on trailer with one of those luggage webbing with camming devices. Worked a treat when collecting piglet from Doncaster to Wales.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 12:08:01 am »
There is a bloke up here that woodturns the corner blocks into candle holders then sells them at the farmers markets. Racks of compost heaps are easily made from pallets as well.

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 09:48:53 am »
Goose/duck shelters, fencing, gates, hurdles for steering pigs into trailer, compost bins, racks for seasoning firewood, temporary scaffold towers and when they have become trashed, firewood (especially good for kindling). i even use them as pallets, for keeping stuff off the floor. I get loads of pallets free, from work and they are a vital source of cheap/free wood. I just get fed up of all the bent nails.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 06:00:16 pm »
FIREWOOD  >:( !!!!!
this was the last idea i was hoping to see on ere, thats thats awfull  ;D only joking man!
everyone to their own needs, cant beat warm toes ;)
£6 for a bag of softwood logs. a pallet lasts us about a week as kindling and the odd hot fire. hermit burns peat and you need a good hot fire to start. i saw some intresting projects on a us web site may try some. we urgently need to build a good peat store and some more chicken houses. so i think we will hire or borrow a van and get a load.

Paul Sill

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 09:46:15 pm »
I have made several planters, 1 for strawberrys, 1 for carrots and beetroot for salads, 2 small ones 1 for herbs and the other for salad leaves. My raised beds are also made from pallet wood.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS