Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: metal ear tag  (Read 3187 times)

matt286bay

• Joined Mar 2010
metal ear tag
« on: March 30, 2010, 10:34:33 pm »
when i bought my weaners about 3 weeks ago they were tagged with a metal tag, just noticed tonight that one has lost it, what do i need to do and when. regards replacing and when do they need tags
hope someone can help

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: metal ear tag
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 10:55:05 pm »
i dont know but will be following this thread as we are in a similar position!  i think (hope) nothing is needed till they go to the abbatoir

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 06:02:59 am »
Personally I hate it when people put metal tags on weaners!  What chance have their ears got to grow without them digging in?  The plastic ones are much kinder and don't get caught up in anything.

Now the weaners are with you and not moving anywhere until they go to the abattoir then don't worry.  You will need to identify them as yours to go to the abattoir anyway...In this area that has to be a metal tag with your name on.  In other areas it can be a slap mark, plastic tag or metal tag. 

I have GOS here, and I identify all piglets with plastic tags.  Then if they are destined for meat they get their metal tag while they are eating the evening before they go off.

Enjoy your pigs, they are wonderful!!!   :love: :pig: :love:

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

matt286bay

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 09:25:33 am »
thank you, like i say i bought them with the metal tags in . not me did them

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 09:34:48 am »
No,  I'm sorry....wasn't having a go at you  :)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 09:51:10 am »
same for me!

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 04:12:33 pm »
They "Should" have metal tage in when they go to slaughter with your herd number on.

Metal tags are the only ones approved to withstand the slaughter process of pigs.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

AWP

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 05:20:29 pm »
This is not strictly true!! I depends on which slaughter house you use. Ours are happy to take plastic tags, it all depends on the process used hot water/ flame, ours use the hot water process, so plastic is fine. Check with the slaughter place first!

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 05:39:57 pm »
Some are happy with slapmarks.   Best to check with your own abattoir beforehand.

Ours only accepts metal tags

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS