Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Donkeys - Your Views Welcome  (Read 8700 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: Donkeys - Your Views Welcome
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2015, 09:55:38 am »
Back in Wellies,

you cant have one because....,

you cant eat one,

you cant ride one,

your not saving a rare breed by keeping one

and....er....um......oh yeah I've got it! You can't provide an effective business case for one :idea:

Has that helped.......?

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2015, 10:03:16 am »
Back in Wellies,

you cant eat one,

you cant ride one,

and....er....um......oh yeah I've got it! You can't provide an effective business case for one :idea:

Has that helped.......?

:roflanim:  :roflanim:     hmmmm .... unfortunately I did say give me a good reason for not having  SOME....    anyone else ?????
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2015, 11:18:14 am »
Back in Wellies,

you cant eat one,

you cant ride one,

Has that helped.......?

:roflanim: :roflanim:     hmmmm .... unfortunately I did say give me a good reason for not having  SOME....    anyone else ??? ??

For someone that really wants a donkey (or 2) and has the resources to keep them, then there are few valid reasons why you shouldn't!
After all, you're only here once, so - enjoy. :excited:
There's donkeys to fit all sizes.
Here's a medium sized one that I prepared earlier.

Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2015, 01:11:21 pm »
Ok.....,

you can ride them,

and you could eat one ( if you were so inclined)

...........Oh just get some BiW ;)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2015, 11:25:55 pm »
I have ponies, well, a lot of other animals too ....and always wanted donkeys.  A couple of years back I acquired two donkey geldings......nice little chaps, and I was thrilled......until I found that every Autumn and Spring they eat the post and rail fencing.  They have chomped their way through a lot of rails, and made a hole big enough in the gate to allow them, and two mini shetlands to go into the other field.  It has cost a lot  of money to replace and the land is only rented.  I am terrified of them doing it again.  The vet said there is nothing wrong with them, its just something donkeys or some of them do.  None of my horses have ever done this.  I have tried suppliments, lick, they have plenty of food, and even branches to gnaw on.  But, no the fence is better.  Even creosoted it does not stop them.
I have got them in my own field, which is dry stone walls, and they have not eaten the stones yet.

Apart from this problem, they are lovely.  They do bray loudly for their feed, and need stabling when the weather is bad in winter.  Oh, and mine eat an alarming amount of hay and straw.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2015, 08:29:39 am »
Metal gates.  Electric wire along the inside of the fence is a deterrent.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2015, 10:40:50 pm »
Landlady will not allow us to change the gates unfortunately, and we have tried the leccy fence, only for the donkeys to push it over - seem immune, and get tangled in the tape.  We have now put chicken wire over the rails, but as the whole place is post and rail its not easy covering it all.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2015, 08:53:53 am »
Tape is quite inefficient at conducting as the thin filaments easily get broken.  On the fences I use a thin galvanised wire as the fence is the boundary and the wire is purely for zapping.  My donkeys have all had a healthy respect for the electric but can tell to the second when it loses power.  The mule is even quicker I am sure she hears the switch being turned off before my finger does the deed.  Mind she weighs up the benefit of the reward over the zap and will shut her eyes and go for it if she feels it worth doing.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS