Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Just to introduce myself  (Read 7512 times)

highstwest

• Joined Jun 2008
  • Plusquellec Brittany . nr Callac . 22160
    • highstwest
Just to introduce myself
« on: June 06, 2008, 07:35:16 pm »
Hi I used to live in Cornawall , for some years . I kept a small herd of milking goats , mostly anglo-nubians , with some sannen crosses . I also raised chickens from day olds and sold them at point of lay . Tried breading geese with mixed sucess , also rabbits . Became guilty killing so many fluffy white bunnies , they did taste nice though ! I now live in Brittany France . I have tried keeping animal here , sadly have had poor experiences . Sheep attacked by dogs , geese by foxes and chickens by martins . I am , though , still considering going back to keeping goats . Must say I rather miss the animals , they always appeared to listen sympatheticly to my woes at the end of a day . Probably though I was a silly old b***r .
I can make the earth move for you

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Just to introduce myself
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 08:36:02 pm »
Hi and welcome to the TAS forums! We'll look forward to tapping into your experiences.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 05:01:11 pm »
Hi welcome, I used to keep goats in another lifetime, in Dorset.  Now living in Brittany and keep pigs.  The advantage of pigs is they dont get attacked by dogs (not if the dog has any sense anyway) and no fox is going to try to tackle a sow with her piglets, or our Hilary to get to the chickens.

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 11:29:49 am »
Hello and welcome from another in Brittany, where are you. We are in 56

Looking forward to reading your postings

Carole

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 11:04:34 am »
Hi there - you seem to have suffered similar experiences to most of us here in France.  The fox is our biggest problem and we have taken terrible losses this past year, as have our French neighbours.  This has been a catastrophic year all round.  Don't give up on the the animals you like though - just learn from the experiences and rethink your housing and fencing etc.  We are rethinking everything at the moment and hoping for a better year ahead now that I am once again buying in my ducks and chooks for meat.  I said I wouldn't bother again, but here we are, in great defiance of  Mr Raynard!

Looking forward to hearing how you  get on, and a huge welcome from Normandy.

Kate  :pig: :chook: :goat: :horse: :sheep: :turkey: :cat: :dog: to name but a few!!
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

highstwest

• Joined Jun 2008
    • highstwest
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 07:49:32 am »
Thanks for the encouragement . I think I should re-start with a couple of goats and get the now over growth down . By the way I am in 22 near Callac .

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 09:37:24 am »
Callac is not too far from me approx 55km, also thats where one of my Mangalitzas has found a new home.

Good luck with the goats, have seen quite a few free to collector on Anglo.

Good luck
Carole

highstwest

• Joined Jun 2008
    • highstwest
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 07:23:11 am »
Hi again Carole I have had a quick research on the net re your Mangalitzas . They look very interesting . Do they require a great deal of fencing ? I remember keeping large pigs in Cornwall & my fencing requirements were enormous .

MikePike

• Joined Jun 2008
  • Rural England
    • Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/michael-hibberd/
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 09:56:58 am »
welcome  :)
Milk, no sugar. Ta.

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 10:59:20 am »
Hi again,

Mangalitzas here are contained in 2 or 3 strand electric fencing and we also put some sheep fencing around too as an extra barrier, they are very hardy and need only minimal shelter from rain and sun, so not exactly costly to set up.
Maybe Kate and Francis Bacon,also on this site can share their experiences as they both have Mangalitzas too.

Carole

Francis Bacon

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Belabre, France
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 02:48:49 pm »
Hello Highstwest & Welcome,

I absolutely adore my Mangalitsa 'Marley' he's so very friendly, loving & would follow me everywhere if he could! We have to have sheep fencing all the way round our property because of the dogs, but Marley is kept with the 2 Female Gossies with electric fencing & he sleeps outside most of the time.  They all get on great & play 'Pig Chase' it's great to watch!!  :pig: Marley is absolutely no problem at all, I would highly recommend them.

Donna  ;)

I Love mornings - I just wish they came later in the day!

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 11:22:28 am »
Thanks Donna for that and I am glad you are still loving him!!!

Hightwest as you are not far from me you are very welcome to come and visit and see the pigs and numerous other animals we have here.
Did you get any goats ? I know of a castrated male who is very friendly going free near me.

Carole

highstwest

• Joined Jun 2008
    • highstwest
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 08:13:30 am »
Hi Carole & others thank you for your welcome and advice . Yes a trip over to see your pigs sounds interesting . I am sorry I am some times slow at replying , as I work outside ( mini-digger) when the weather allows I get very busy . The possible offer of a free goat is a spur . Where are you ? I can be contacted direct on highstwest@wanadoo.fr

Peter

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 09:16:14 am »
Hi Peter,

Will mail you direct to make arrangements

Carole

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 03:30:29 pm »
Hi Peter,

Did you ever receive my mail?
If not I will be in touch again for you to visit the piggies and things, oh and by the way I have 1 female Mangalitza still for sale and she is super.
Looking forward to your further postings

Carole

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS