Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: House Cow - Once a day milking & calf sharing  (Read 1510 times)

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
House Cow - Once a day milking & calf sharing
« on: September 27, 2015, 10:50:59 pm »
Any tips?

Is it better to milk first thing in the morning or in the evening?  So far we have popped the calf into a pen in the morning and milked the cow around 5pm.  Only trouble for me is the time with the childrens after school activities, tea time etc.  Considering the winter drawing in now just wondered from experienced milkers what really is best.

I'm terrible in the morning and getting up at out at 6am is daunting - I have to be back in the house at 7am to prepare the children for school.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: House Cow - Once a day milking & calf sharing
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 07:46:27 am »
Cow's cant tell the time .... so doesn't have to be early and/or late (that is just traditional for dairies so they can get 2 milkings in one day (after all when they went to 3 times a day cows are milked early pm)  ........... just adjust when the calf has access so cow doesn't get uncomfortable
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: House Cow - Once a day milking & calf sharing
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 08:21:13 am »
I agree with backinwellies. I milked at 6am but that suits me - I prefer to get routine jobs out of the way first thing. We brought the calves (there were two so they had company) in about 9pm and they had hay and water (and sugar beet / calf crunch which they never ate).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS