Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Walnuts harvested  (Read 3368 times)

sss

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
Walnuts harvested
« on: September 27, 2015, 05:00:48 pm »
Animals have managed to nick a load, but we have managed to nab some as well  :excited:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Walnuts harvested
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 07:33:24 pm »
Well done, didn't know you could grow em in the UK very well
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 07:51:02 am »
They grow well in the UK. there was a lovely, productive walnut tree not far from here that was recently felled for the new by-pass. Very sad about that!

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 08:28:52 am »
Think I had known that walnuts grew in the uk, but I wouldn't have known what to look for! They look like limes! Well done you!

sss

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 09:55:42 am »
They do seem to grow surprisingly well here, I may have to look at planting more.

We also have a black walnut tree, they will drop in the next couple of weeks.  Although this year we shall wear gloves! Last year we did not know about the dying capabilities and had balck hands for weeks.  We did have to google them as we had no idea what they were when we first moved in.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 05:01:15 pm »
I used to have two walnut trees back in surrey... rarely saw any walnuts due to squirrels.. unless there was a high wind at the lucky time of year. The tree was way to big to consider climbing.
I planted 2 trees here in wales when we arrived.. and there was already one here... but all are still young and unlikely to be productive for another many years.
The sweet chstnut  put in has 6 nut cases on it though..hardly a bumper crop but a start ;D

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 10:13:23 pm »
They do seem to grow surprisingly well here, I may have to look at planting more.

We also have a black walnut tree, they will drop in the next couple of weeks.  Although this year we shall wear gloves! Last year we did not know about the dying capabilities and had balck hands for weeks.  We did have to google them as we had no idea what they were when we first moved in.

As kids half of the school would turn up after a weekend of walnut picking all with that lovely nicotine stain all over their hands . A couple of local farms ( farmers related ) had hundreds of mature walnut trees that got their boles  beaten every spring by the farm workers .

A few weeks after harvesting the nuts and putting them in paper sacks to dry off a bit we'd return to  brush off any skins that hadn't come free.

Earlier in  the year on a chosen weekend the bigger lads in the village got to be pulled up into the upper branches on ropes  to dislodge green walnuts for the pickling  factory as well as a few greenies for our families to home pickle .
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 12:10:26 am by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 08:29:23 pm »
Just discovered a walnut tree on our land today. Had never seen one before so was about to google to see when they are ready. Ours have started to split so guess we go pick them tomorrow  :excited:

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS