Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Compost/Dry Loo  (Read 3832 times)

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
Compost/Dry Loo
« on: March 30, 2010, 11:44:25 am »
Anyone constructed a simple compost loo? What are the most important considerations, We have a loo conected to a septic tank indoors, but I would like to construct something outside so that we dont have to come indoors and take off muddy boots and wet clothing etc, all help appreciated.
Dawn

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
Re: Compost/Dry Loo
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 11:46:56 am »
I should have said that we have a few DIY Liveries here also, when they are not around I would 'freestyle' as it were but when they are here you could get caught out!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 02:04:25 pm »
My pal considered these when she was building her eco friendly house last year.  her husband refused point blank - he has had experience of them and although they don't smell at all he said they are VERY breezy.  But if it's outside or in a barn I shouldn't think that would be an issue.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 04:19:10 pm »
composting loos can be almost the same as any normal loo. No breeze at all , no smell and very little work to use and run. But as with all things they cost !!! but for an outside loo all you need is some form of cubicle and at it's most basic form ..a bucket . This you use and then empty into/onto a special compost heap/composter, separate from your normal compost heap . It is better to keep solids separate from liquids ,ie two buckets , and use the liquid as an activator on your normal heap , just the solids going on the human compost heap. The wee can be used watered down as a fertilizer so no need for any sawdust etc as a soak . But the solids it is best to use sawdust to cover after you have done what you needed to do , as it were. You don't need huge amounts of sawdust , just a handfull or so at most each time . Just the very least amount it takes to cover . If you are the only one using the bucket , you can empty every few days maybe . It depends on how many times you go !!!! But if other people are using it , well make a habit of emptying every day . Always put a layer of sawdust in the bucket before you start to use it each time , otherwise you will end up with a layer of concrete crap stuck to the bottom of the bucket !!!
 You can use ashes , or even dry crumbly soil , old potting compost will also do the job . But it must all be dry and fairly fine . It has to cover everything in the bucket . Paper will not do at all , you will end up with a stinking festering sh*t hole that you will not enjoy using at all.  Tissue is still ok to go in the bucket , just don't bother trying shredded paper to cover , it DOESN'T WORK !! , don't ask how I know. Baby wipes can be used as well , but they take forever to rot down . Even after a year of using one compost heap and then leaving it for another year to rot down , they are still recognisable as baby wipes. Although they may breakdown faster in a conventional compost heap that heats up very hot.  The compost , after a years use and another year of rotting down , is almost like peat , no smell or any resemblance to what it was . It may be best not to use it on the veggie plot though ... ::) Just spread it on the field or on a willow bed maybe .
 You can also use a camping Porta loo thing, just don't use the blue chemical stuff in it , just water with a small amount of detol in it maybe. This system is completely different to the dry composting one , you empty it onto a heap containing lots of straw to soak up any liquid , and then you need to turn it and mix it well , adding extra straw if needed. You must avoid a wet festering heap it will reek to sky heaven .
 Those are the cheap easy set ups that cost almost nothing to get going or to use . That is what I use and have done for 10 years now .
 Hope I have explained it good enough to follow ok , my mind is all mixed up and a bit fuddled at the moment , I have had a very sick dog for the last week . Fingers crossed we are through the worst now ...
 Anyway good luck and just shout if you need any questions answered..

cheers

Russ   

woodsman

• Joined Dec 2008
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 06:02:06 pm »
hi , as rustyme says , nothing complicated or expensive is needed .
mine have always been the cube of pallets style ,with internal basketey sort of thing made from brash .
would recommend a double layer of heavy chicken wire to enclose ,re rodents .
did get a good crop of tomatoes ofof one emptying ,which the better half refused to accept as suitable for the kitchen .(as in , after waiting a year ,emptied the previous loo ,in the springtime ,onto a bit of ground ,later that year ,tomatoes grew .)
If it's too steep to plough , put sheep on it , if the sheep fall off , plant trees .

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 06:22:47 pm »
....lol.. yes , when I was a kid , my dad and me used to go fishing together. One place we went to there was an old style sewage works right next to the canal and small lake .
 Every summer there was a massive forest of the biggest and best tomatoes I have ever seen . We could help ourselves to as many toms as we wanted , and did so , they were lovely.
 Luckily mum was of the same mind as me and dad , so saw no problem with eating them either . The taste of those toms was the best I have ever had before or since.
 I always look when I go past modern sewage works , but they are all to clinical and every where is kept well trimmed and free of any vegetation , so no chance of any toms getting a foot hold .
 The reason why the old sewage works always had a good crop of toms is the seed passes through the human digestive system untouched . They are then in the perfect situation for growth at the sewage works , all the fertilizer they need.

cheers

Russ

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 03:17:58 pm »
Thanks for the replies and the stories!! I was thinking it had to be comlicated but a bucket will do the job!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS