Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kids growing like weeds ......  (Read 1900 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Kids growing like weeds ......
« on: March 29, 2010, 11:31:34 pm »
Its amazing how quickly kids grow!!  Two weeks old tomorrow.  Will have to take another pic, so you can see them.  Primrose has got toggles, like her Mum, but Poppy hasn't.  Maybe she will develop her dads beard!!  Primrose is a lot more bolder, and comes up to inspect me,whereas Poppy is a bit reserved.  I am sure they are almost as tall as Barney the pygmy kid, and he is 12 weeks old!!

Both know how to squeeze out of the pen, and go off to visit their dad, Paddy.  He is really good with them.  Have to smile as they look tiny standing alongside him.  When they have had enough they go back to Mum.

Wish the weather would improve so they can go outside, but looking at the snow promised later in the week, it may be a while yet.

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
Re: Kids growing like weeds ......
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 12:45:10 pm »
roxy please can you explain as to why they are kept separate from paddy?
is it best for them to be with mom just, during the first few months.
langdon ;) :goat:
Langdon ;)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: Kids growing like weeds ......
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 01:44:03 pm »
Landgon, intact billy goats, and Paddy is a large one, could kill a kid if they just took the idea to do so.  Paddy has enormous horns, and one butt with those and we would have a dead kid.  I had not had him too long before the kids arrived,  so had no idea how he would react.  With people he is very good natured, and it seems he is with the kids.......I was horrified when I first  found them in his pen at about 4 days old.

If the kids grow up with Paddy they will be fine as adults - although being female obviously they will have to be kept well away or he will be serving his daughters!!

Barney the pygmy is now castrated, and is in with his dad, Bobby.  Because Bobby knew the kid from it being born, he has accepted that, and he will be ideal as his companion.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS