Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding pigs  (Read 4161 times)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
Feeding pigs
« on: March 29, 2010, 10:32:27 pm »
we have 2 berkshire pigs and have been buying pig grower from our local feed merchant.  Pigs love it and wont eat anything else - we've tried carrots/apples/turnip, that sort of thing but the boys only eat the grower mix and as such feeding time is proving to be a bit more expensive that we'd anticipated!  well a lot actually!

so i'm wondering what others feed...do you buy the grower mix or separate bags of ?? and then mix up your own? 

and how do i get them to eat roots/apples, etc, etc?

many thanks

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
Re: Feeding pigs
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 11:39:01 pm »
If they are proving difficult to get onto mixed food try shredding or chopping up the veg really small and mixing it into the meal. You could also try just feeding the veg for a couple of days; hunger will get the better of them; and they'll eat it; this second method is not my preferred one i use the first;but it does work it makes for grumpy pigs for a while though.You could also try adding in really sweet fruits ie slightly over ripe they do generally have sweet tooths.

Hope that helps.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 07:46:30 am »
Do you feed them treats by hand?  Try offering an apple as a treat.  Ours love veg and apples, often leaving the pellets till last when favourite veggies turn up in the trough.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 08:17:25 am »
I worry about the whole catering waste thing. Do you guys give veg and fruit from the supermarket?

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 09:50:45 am »
thanks, really helpful - never thought to chop it up first!  though that means it'll be in the house - is that not a problem?

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 10:44:54 am »
I have an old table in the feed room where I chop all the veg! mine used to eat the pellets first then the veg, now they get a good selection of fruit and veg they get a bit choosy, ie wont eat mushrooms anymore, some like brussel sprouts others dont! my sow loves peppers my boar hates them!

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 11:09:22 am »
We deal with such large quantities of fruit and veg that we put it through a garden shredder solely bought for the purpose.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 01:17:54 pm »
what a great idea gavo  :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 03:11:19 pm »
Hi egg lady
you can't chop their food up in your house as this would then be classed as kitchen waste which is not allowed.
The best option is to have a table or work surface in the place you prepare their feeds and as everyonelse says chop it small and mix in, try getting them off grower and onto sow/weaners nuts which are bigger and not as high in protein.
HTh
mandy

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 03:14:16 pm »
try getting them off grower and onto sow/weaners nuts which are bigger and not as high in protein.
HTh
mandy
And cheaper

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS