Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sponging benefits an disadvantage from a small holders side please  (Read 9021 times)

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
Well past few years I have used a teaser ram lambing tightened but not as much as I would like. I'm thinking about doing it in 2016 around October time the sound off lambing in 1 weeks sound great I've only a small number off ewes. I know the cost is about £5 per ewe from what research I have done. An I know it's 14 days in 2 out ram in more ram power needed etc anything disadvantaged people have found? I won't be using pmsg so hopefully eliminate the triplets etc

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
Re: Sponging benefits an disadvantage from a small holders side please
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 06:07:27 pm »
The idea is good it is useful to have all lambing in a week particulary if you book time off work and only a weeks sleepless nights but do you have enough pens etc. on call assistance when all lambing all at once but it doesn't always go to plan - if the sheep don't hold first time they may not come back into season for the second or third cycle, so it's not unusual for some breeders end up in a worse mess that natural lambing or with a teaser.
For best results our neighbour says that only give tups a maximum of 4 ewes a day (shearlings or older. ram lambs less) pulling out sponges each day to suit depending on how many rams you got. More than that he has found it to be a disaster.

GlebeFieldFarm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 07:07:56 pm »
I sponged last year for the 1st time, all but 3 held first time and the first group lambed over 3 days. The other 3 held 2nd cycle so were just 17days behind. Worked for me so I've done it again this year, tups go in tomorrow. I use 1 tup to 10 ewes.

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 08:14:02 pm »
I only have about 15 going to ram next year if all goes well this year. So I suppose 2 rams would be enough I can lend a friends if need be.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 08:26:42 pm »
Ewes will continue to cycle post-sponge if they are within their normal breeding times

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 09:08:00 pm »
Very small numbers (only half a dozen) but with working full time sponging is essential for me and it works really well.  Plan which week to lamb in and work back from there.  Last year used a ram lamb (end of August) and pulled sponges over three consecutive days and all ok first time.   Only negative for me is putting the sponges in - not my favourite sheepy task!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 10:14:08 pm »
ewesaidit - so you put all the sponges in on the same day, yes? Then took the first two out how many days after? Did you put the first two only in with the ram and then added the other ewes over the next two days? Or did something different?

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 10:01:43 am »
Very small numbers (only half a dozen) but with working full time sponging is essential for me and it works really well.  Plan which week to lamb in and work back from there.  Last year used a ram lamb (end of August) and pulled sponges over three consecutive days and all ok first time.   Only negative for me is putting the sponges in - not my favourite sheepy task!

With only half a dozen I don't see any point in pulling them out on different days. May as well do them all on the same day.  One ram can manage 6 in a day.

I sponged for the first time last year - it worked very well.  Ram went in after 48 hours, and I mated each ewe individually - ie in a pen with the ram, let him do her twice, then let the girl out.  Give him 5 mins rest - he can sniff the pen of girls who are waiting patiently ....  then bung in another ewe, and repeat until they are all done.  Then put him out with the ewes in the field for 35 days, to make sure he covers any repeats (raddle after 2 or 3 days).  This way it just guarantees that he covers all of them equally and doesn't focus on the first one he gets to.
All of mine lambed over a long weekend, bar one, who lambed 17 days later.

I'm doing the same this year, but putting the ram in after 36 hours instead.  And to minimise the time I need to take off work I'm timing it so that they lamb at Easter.

I sponged my ewe lambs too ... which was fine apart from I couldn't get the sponge in a couple of them.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 10:06:25 am »

With only half a dozen I don't see any point in pulling them out on different days. May as well do them all on the same day.  One ram can manage 6 in a day.

I sponged for the first time last year - it worked very well.  Ram went in after 48 hours, and I mated each ewe individually - ie in a pen with the ram, let him do her twice, then let the girl out.  Give him 5 mins rest - he can sniff the pen of girls who are waiting patiently ....  then bung in another ewe, and repeat until they are all done.  Then put him out with the ewes in the field for 35 days, to make sure he covers any repeats (raddle after 2 or 3 days).  This way it just guarantees that he covers all of them equally and doesn't focus on the first one he gets to.
All of mine lambed over a long weekend, bar one, who lambed 17 days later.

I'm doing the same this year, but putting the ram in after 36 hours instead.  And to minimise the time I need to take off work I'm timing it so that they lamb at Easter.

I sponged my ewe lambs too ... which was fine apart from I couldn't get the sponge in a couple of them.

That was my plan Foobar for my six girls. Why only waiting 36 hours this time?

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 10:31:07 am »
Because the one last year that didn't take the first time, she was actually very very keen at mating time (she backed up right into him), so I'm thinking she cycled a little earlier than the others and was mated just a bit too late.
I asked on the farming forum yesterday, and they said 36 hours would be better. Some ppl even put the tups in immediately.

It also suits me better because I can pull the sponges after work on the thursday and tup 9am on the saturday.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 10:52:34 am »
Putting tups in immediately is dull, the first ewe/ewes to cycle will be served a lot and deplete semen reserves of the rams. Better to wait so the majority are ready so the rams can get more in lamb in a day

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 10:59:16 am »
Putting tups in immediately is dull, the first ewe/ewes to cycle will be served a lot and deplete semen reserves of the rams. Better to wait so the majority are ready so the rams can get more in lamb in a day
Yes it seems dim to me too, but I wasn't going to tell them that :).

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 11:09:24 am »
Keeps people buying tups  :D

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 11:24:10 am »
So you didn't just turn ram into the field? My plan is basically put in on a Sunday take out 2 weeks later turn ram out the following Wednesday morning maybe 2 depending how many

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 11:40:15 am »
Me, no.  Hand mating just removes any risk of a single ewe dominating the ram, or the ram repeatedly covering a particular ewe and using up all his juice.  Probably took me about 2 hours in all (only had 10 to do).  Saves you having to go out looking for marked bums too.  I just raddle the ram a few days later to check for any returns.

http://www.msd-animal-health.co.uk/binaries/Chronogest_Farmer_leaflet_tcm80-69843.pdf, page 4, step 6.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS