Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Build a School in Tanzania  (Read 2481 times)

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Build a School in Tanzania
« on: September 22, 2015, 05:28:55 pm »
Following a previous thread  things have moved on a bit and my Oh and I are returning to Tanzania  :sunshine: next summer to help build a classroom for 5 year olds who are currently walking 4Km to school ... we are funding ourselves but looking for donations towards the bricks and mortar.

We are also looking for others to join us...  pass this on to your friends/neighbours/family who may be interested   

Please see attached for outline details

Oh and if you are stuck for what to  :knit: next  ... I'm sure I could find a home for a child's jumper or two.

Please do not add negative comments about the merits or otherwise of such projects etc to this thread ... by all means start a new thread to discuss is you wish.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Build a School in Tanzania
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 11:58:05 pm »
Good for you but what will you do with the animals?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 08:32:10 am »
Sounds fabulous and doing a great job as well.
Let me know if you need any animal help
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 07:52:45 am »
Thank you everyone who has replied with offers of help and support.   

I know from previous experience that the hardest decision is to say yes I'm going ........ so many reasons for 'can't go this year'   
This will be my third trip to Tanzania to do some practical building on a school project (but the first where I will be the team leader! and definitely the first to travel so far onto Tanzania!)
 The first time I went I was a single parent of 3 infant children...........

On each occasion once I decided I was going things just seemed to fall into place.  ... on one occasion I just happened to get a totally unexpected tax rebate of almost the exact figure the trip was costing for example!

MGM we are still working on animal care issues ... but am planning farm stuff to make it easier (no entire ram lambs here next year!)  .  Thank you Sally ... am sure I will be able to take you up on your kind offer in some form ....

.... Oh and if anyone would prefer to travel to other parts of the world check out' Soapbox Trips' for other opportunities (most of which would fit into a 2 week holiday)    http://www.soapboxtrips.org/

Oh and forgot to mention ... I met my husband on the Tanz trip in 2010  :excited:
Linda

www.nantygroes.co.uk

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 07:30:43 pm »
It is such a worthwhile thing to do! We help support a village in the Gambia where the children are only allowed to go to school if they have shoes. My elder daughter was so distressed to see a small boy trudging to school wearing his Daddy's work boots and a little girl wearing one sandal and a high heeled shoe.
We don't seek to change the rules on this, just to make sure every child in the village has shoes and can get an education.
As you, Backinwellies know, a child having even a primary education will help the whole community!
Good luck with your project and God bless you both.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 11:53:18 pm »
I do admire what you're doing. I sponsor a little boy in Ghana through Compassion, and organisation that works all over the world with children in poverty. It's a lot easier for me though as I just have to pay and write letters.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 05:09:23 pm »
Equally worthwhile MGM.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 06:44:45 pm »
Totally agree Devonlady ...

.... children's shoes are on my list to take out (as in Gambia, they are not allowed in school in Tanzania  without shoes)

School uniform is also important ... see attached photo and the state of the jumper

MGM your support for that Boy will change his, and his family's,  lives.   :) ... and your few lines will be treasured beyond your understanding.
Linda

www.nantygroes.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS