Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Squash  (Read 2829 times)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
Squash
« on: March 28, 2010, 10:22:58 pm »
Has anyone grown squash in containers? How big would a container need to be do you think? And am I right in thinking squash grow up trellis? I have been told they grow really big and spread, so I would like to stop them encroaching across the whole bed if I can.

starcana

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Squash
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 08:32:02 am »
Yes, I grew butternut squash in large pots (about 2ft across top) last year and I put two plants in each. In one of my pots a courgette crept in (I obviously couldn't tell the difference as the leaves are similar when they are small plants - or similar to  me a bit of an 'infants' class gardener')! I got about 7 squash from four plants, so not bad. This year I'm going to try just one plant in the centre of each pot (and get more big pots) instead of the one at each rim that I did last year. See if I get more. But the squash was delicious.

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 12:39:56 pm »
Thanks for your reply.

Did you leave them trailing over the pot, or did you put up some netting for them to climb?

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 01:26:51 pm »
I have grown them in pots but they just don't seem to do so well (probably because it's easier to forget to water pots!).  I now grow mine amongst sweetcorn, which is apparently how the indians used to do it!  Depends what kind of squash I guess - some can get huge like pumpkin and have a few fruit, others like my "patty pans" are much more manageable in terms of space taken and fruit plentifully.  I hate to take fruit off when it is small like they say to do in the books - it seems like vegicide to me!  ;D

starcana

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 02:50:00 am »
I left them trailing - I think they woud have been too heavy to net once the fruit were starting to grow. Place the large pots alongisde but outside the veg patch, which has a rabbit-netted fence all round it.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 11:46:41 pm »
I'd love to give Hokaido squash another go. It trails a long way and mym mum managed to have orange wee pumpkins in her apple trees. I was not so fortunate as to rubbish summer last year! I'll keep it in the greenhouse this year as long as possible in some sort of container. I heard that tyres are good for squashes but they are not :&> very portable... :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS