Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goose eggs in incubator  (Read 3211 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Goose eggs in incubator
« on: March 26, 2010, 11:42:28 pm »
Last week I put 3 of my goose eggs in the incubator, not really expecting anything to happen. However, I have just "candled" them and so far 2 of them have started to develop so hoping to successfully hatch these eggs next month, never hatched geese before.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Goose eggs in incubator
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 09:01:56 am »
They make great Yorkshire puddings as well!!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 05:56:41 pm »
very exciting!
Little Blue

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 09:02:39 pm »
HERMIT how do you get geese to make yorkshire puddings, mine just waddle about eating.

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 09:17:33 pm »
LOL!

I've decided against incubating any more goose eggs after I had an explosion, and instead am going to buy 20 X Day old Embden Heavy Strain from a local breeder. Suprisingly reasonable too!

What ratio should I aim for? Would 5 Ganders to 15 geese be ok or should I have more (or less)? I know geese aren't as "randy" as chickens but I don't thing they specifically pair off either do they?

I should say I want geese as much for eating as I do for eggs and hatching eggs. Maybe I'll be blessed with a couple of broody chooks this summer so I can replenish my stocks cheaply. I also have a lot of grass to keep down and feel that 20 (+) geese will do as good a job as my tractor and save me time, money and fuel in the process.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 09:44:51 pm »
I think geese do pair off. The first 3 I had turned out to be all boys and during the mating season they were very nasty to eachother.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 11:53:21 pm »
so you did it then!  Great news, cant wait to see the wee darlings - do geese waddle?

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 12:23:54 pm »
they do. if you kill one of the pair kill the other,

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 08:35:43 pm »
Harry,why should I get the geese to do the cooking when I have a man to do that!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS