Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Homeless ......  (Read 6055 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Homeless ......
« on: March 26, 2010, 10:29:46 pm »
Well, the farm is to be auctioned.  I am really sad it has come to this, but relations with co owner, my brother, can be no worse, and this is the only way out.  I was too upset to go to the meeting with the solicitor, so my hubby went instead. He said my brother really slated me, and the solictor had to step in and stop him. Brother has no interest in farming or animals, and all he wants is money.  He is fuming about the TB problem, which obviously is not my fault .....

So, because of the auction we need to move out.  Easier said than done - we cannot buy until the farm is sold obviously.  There is no way I can move in with my brother so thats out.  To rent houses in this area is like having a big  mortgage.  Cannot move far away as we have the land just up the lane with the goats and ponies on.

Our main problem is the 5 farm dogs, which live outside, and also the 8 farm cats also outside.  The cats can fend for themselves, but  I do feed them every day as well.  I suppose they could stay until the farm goes, so long as I come back every day to see to them.  There again, I am not sure I want to keep reminding myself of the farm we are leaving, and it will upset me to come to an empty house every day.

I suppose I should move on and look to the future, but at the moment its very uncertain....

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: Homeless ......
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 10:36:53 pm »
Is there no way of obtaining a bridging loan, so you could move on the basis the money from the farm would pay it off again? Thing is, you still have to make interest repayments. But if it is to be auctioned, then at least there would be a definite end date in sight. We moved with a bridging loan to let us move to this place, as we didn't get the funds for old place until detailed planning permission was granted.

Is there no-one local that could either take on, or feed the farm cats and dogs for you?

Beth

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 10:41:25 pm »
Roxy that is awful news, I do hope that things work out for you all and very soon. Good luck and never give up - that would be letting your brother win :)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 10:45:17 pm »
Thanks, James.  I am afraid its knocked the stuffing out of me, as they say.  I am not materialistic in any way, and cannot understand people who want tons of money.  So long as my animals are sorted, we will get by.  We have a caravan, and there is a caravan park not far away, so we could do that no bother!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 10:51:25 pm »
Will you manage to have the dogs in the caravan with you?  I am sure it would be a crowd but better than nothing.  Can you put the caravan on your land temporarily?  Perhaps teh council would allow you to do that if they were told the circumstances and asked for a specific time limit.  I can hardly believe what you are telling us about your brother.  How can he be so mean to his own sister?  Presumably there are only the two of you.  He will live to regret his actions!  I am a great believer in fate - what goes around comes around.  you stick in there, Roxy - you have us!  We are your family.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 10:53:23 pm »
You know Roxy I am self employed and if this business ever went under it would be the welfare of my animals that would worry me the most. I wish you the very best of luck my friend.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 11:00:57 pm »
Thanks for caring, Doganjo :D  No, I do have another brother, and also my Mum. She is in her 80's and I tend to not tell her things, as she would only worry, and thats not fair to her.

At the end of the day, he wants his share and thats all there is to it.  Once he has it, I can walk away and get on with my life.

He does not even have a dog or anything, and his eggs come from the supermarket.  We are like chalk and cheese, and you would not believe that he came from a farming family too!

But hard as I find it, not everyone likes the country life.

James, I was intending having the dogs at my other land.  5 large dogs in a 4 berth caravan would be a bit much.  Doubt the council will allow it on our land, its all green belt.  Have friends with land, and they may be able to hide us somewhere :D

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 11:59:49 pm »
Roxy have you got a date you need to be out by?

If it coincides with when I move in to my place I may be able to house your dogs as long as you pay for their feed and its not for too long.
I havent yet got a date but ill let you know when I do.

Remember the old saying, 'You can pick your friends but not your family.'

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 09:07:15 am »
Hi Roxy,
I wish I was closer ! We've got plenty of room for your caravan and all your animals and you'd be more than welcome here til you get sorted (if you decide on Scotland for your move just let me know ;))
I struggle to understand how families can behave like this. My aunt and uncle totally disowned their own son (they've got 5 kids altogether) not because he's a bad person, no - because he dared marry someone who wasn't of the same religion  >:(
Sending you hugs and I hope you get something sorted soon.
Karen xx

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 09:44:41 am »
Bummer, Roxy. Something will turn up.

See this week's property update - come North, young woman!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 10:01:04 am »
Like Karen (Happy Hippy), I could have at least some of your dogs temporarily - I have extra kennels now, and I still have my motorhome which could be connected to the electricity.  So feel free to come up to Scotland any time.

By the way, if I were your Mum I would be extremely angry with you for not telling me what is going on. She has a god given right to know what is happening.  What does your other brother say about all of this.

My blood is boiling I would be  having a good go at your  bad brother if I were your Mum (My kids are 40 and 38 this year and I still tell them off sometimes, although most of the time they don't need it fortunately)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 11:41:32 am »
Oh, that's horrible news! It really makes me angry when all people care about is money, and their share, at the expense of people and animals. I'm really sorry, Roxy, and I hope things get better, not just in terms of finding a place for yourselves and the animals, but also between you and your brother. Have some *hugs*

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 05:25:44 pm »
So sorry to hear your news Roxy.  I hope things get better for you very soon.  If I can be of any help here in Devon please let me know.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 05:44:02 pm »
Oh dear, its def true... you can't choose your family.
Hope it all works out, and if theres anything we can do let me know (Might just find room for a llama!!)  No seriously, just ask
x
Little Blue

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 09:23:54 pm »
What a nightmare Roxy and what a nightmare brother - people can be very unpleasant can't they.  I hope everything turns out ok and if I can help please PM me.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS