Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: help please for my personal research project  (Read 4069 times)

beagh-suffolks

• Joined Oct 2014
help please for my personal research project
« on: September 20, 2015, 03:37:18 pm »
i have officially started my prp but have no idea how to put it in a question form, i want to do something about ET , AI and natural service in sheep reproduction, it has to be as a question and i dont know how to word it.  all help or even anyone with any knowledge on theses subjects is really appreciated . I am very very interested in this topic hence why i want to do a project and paper on it.
thank you

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: help please for my personal research project
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 04:20:01 pm »
What interests you about it?  Are there aspects that excite you?  Worry you? 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

beagh-suffolks

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 04:38:38 pm »
i like the idea of genetic improvements but just wanting to see do they really work for example the likes of AI Vs natural service and does embryo transfer really mean getting the best out of a good producer or does it carry more faults.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 05:06:09 pm »
I AI my buffalo, and sheep in the near future, for improving genetics. The problem with embryo transfer is that it will lead to very tight genetics, say for example there is a world class herd/flock and everyone wants the best of the best they will go to them, therefore the genetics become really tight. I think up to a point maybe. For me with AI you get three quarters in calf, for example I AI'd 5 and 3 got in calf, whereas the other 2 were later served by the bull. I think if you can get it bang on, like a lot of the big dairy farmers (now those are some people that would be a great source of info) then AI is in fact better, because of the returns. It was a truly awesome breakthrough in technology. Here is some info on the subjects..... http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/management_and_nutrition/embryo_transfer_in_farm_animals/embryo_transfer_in_sheep_and_goats.html
https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=embryo%20transfer%20in%20sheep%2Fcows
http://wilkes.ces.ncsu.edu/2012/12/what-are-the-advantages-of-using-artificial-insemination-ai-in-your-livestock-breeding-program/
On the other hand an exstensive google search would be needed, and also what about talking to your vets on the subject and other people like AI technicians and people in the world of AI and ET?
Hope this helps and all the best :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 05:10:22 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 06:41:48 pm »
Ok... How about

"Embryo transfer - improving <breeding jargon for improvement in genotype over time> or fast track to <breeding jargon for reduced fertility>?"

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 07:14:00 pm »
Ok... How about

"Embryo transfer - improving <breeding jargon for improvement in genotype over time> or fast track to <breeding jargon for reduced fertility>?"

Its close Sally but not perfect, try:"Embryo transfer - improving <breeding jargon for improvement in genotype over time> or fast track to <breeding jargon for reduced welfare>?"

Cheekierdiagram

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 09:19:15 pm »
[q :yippee: :yippee: :yippee:uote author=beagh-suffolks link=topic=66703.msg541415#msg541415 date=1442763518]
i like the idea of genetic improvements but just wanting to see do they really work for example the likes of AI Vs natural service and does embryo transfer really mean getting the best out of a good producer or does it carry more faults.
[/quote] I think you have pretty much got your question there.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 08:48:08 am »
If you narrow your genetic base (see how many Holstein Friesian herds have Shottle in their genetics!) are you selecting out characteristics that may be needed for the future (environmental challenges, for example?)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 10:48:12 am »
I think she's wanting help framing a question for her research paper at this point, not a discussion of the issues.  Although maybe she'll start a thread for that once she's decided on her question ;)

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 11:27:57 am »

Q--''How could the development and implementation of farmer implemented cervical AI increase the genetic potential of the UK sheep flock?''

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 11:40:03 am »
You may want to talk to the people at AB Europe (formerly Innovis), and maybe you can get some farmers that use it regularly to talk to you.... but I am not quite sure there is enough info (to make it statistically viable) in the UK as yet, but probably is in Australia and NZ... (I don't know enough about AI in sheep specifically, but do my goats - with particular breeding aims in mind).

Of course there is cervical AI and there is laprascopic AI.....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS