Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: coumtry smallholding mag  (Read 2246 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
coumtry smallholding mag
« on: March 26, 2010, 09:50:09 pm »
has anyone read the article about showing of goats, really interesting :goat:
Langdon ;)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: coumtry smallholding mag
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 09:51:06 pm »
Beth is your (wo)man on the show front!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 09:54:29 pm »
Yes I read it, I actually didn't think it was a very inspired article! It was very practical and told you a lot of information, all of which is correct. But I didn't really feel it gave you a good flavour of showing. It also didn't mention plain old agricultural shows which sometimes have goat classes but are not recognised by the BGS in any way. Those shows are where a lot of people start out- at least it used to be!

Beth

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 10:02:37 pm »
Yes, I always liked the classes at the local agricultural shows.  Just lately though, like every other class, I have noticed numbers of goats entered was done, which is a shame.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 10:06:44 pm »
The little local shows are a great place to meet people, get contacts, and just advertise your animals to the public. It is such a shame more people don't support them. Although that said, even we are guilty of not going to quite as many anymore. I used to sell most of my surplus goats via meeting people at agricultural shows. Now, I probably sell more through the web!

Beth

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 11:07:06 pm »
Thats moving with the times, Beth.  Although not quite the social occasion of a show, is it, on the web>?

Friends laugh at me.  I go to these big shows, do the carriage driving and in hand classes with the ponies, and then rush back to the trailer, put hay nets up for the ponies to munch on. Get changed, and straight off to see the goats and the poultry exhibits.  Like a busmans holiday for me.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS