Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: potato skins  (Read 3559 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
potato skins
« on: March 25, 2010, 04:48:42 pm »
are these poisiouns to goats?
ive learnt that for pigs they are :pig:
langdon :goat:
Langdon ;)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: potato skins
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 09:28:41 pm »
Are they poisonious to pigs???  :-\

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 10:06:55 pm »
as you know beth, all my experience and know how in
smallholding has been got from this excellent site,
i asked on the pig cateorgy and i was told they were.
Langdon ;)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 10:43:19 pm »
Cain and Abel the Anglo Nubians eat all our potato peelings, skins and anything else veg wise.  And they are still here.  I think its the potato tops that are poisonous to any animal, that is, when you grow potatoes, the green stem and leaves above the soil, so don't ever feed those, and I think its right they should not even be on the compost heap they are so bad.  Bit strange when you consider we eat the potato under the stalk and thats fine!!  Only other no no for animals is the big green cabbage tops off rhubarb, thats poisonous.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 10:46:04 pm »
Ah that would make sense. I couldn't understand why potato skins would be poisonious. Our goats are never terribly keen on them, but I dare say if we persevered they would probably eat them.

Beth

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 11:06:20 pm »
My goats all have different tastes.  Cain and Abel eat all veg peelings, love bananas and their skins, orange peel even!!  The five Franks, who consist of 4 Toggies and an Alpine, like carrots, which is good as we buy 6 sacks at a time for the ponies ......but they are not keen on broccoli.  The pygmy goats are not keen on anything except goat feed.  Carrots get lifted out of dishes and placed in the bedding by the pygmies!!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 09:47:45 pm »
Potato (and tomato) tops are toxic to all (incl humans), they belong to the same family as Deadly Nightshade (solanacae) (not sure about the spelling and its too late to check my books for it...).

For pigs they should be boiled, as they don't digest them very well raw. Haven't tried the goats on them yet, in winter mine go on the compost heap, which over summer (= pig time) gets a bit neglected.

Same true for Rhubarb leaves, also toxic for all livestock. But again good on the compost (and aparently people boil them up and make a "tea" from them which kills aphids, but that's for a different thread).

chickenfeed

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 09:45:57 pm »
 :)potato & skins goats are not keen but fine for pigs (they usually love them) and cattle fine.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS