Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Snake Identification  (Read 5706 times)

deepblue

• Joined May 2014
Snake Identification
« on: September 18, 2015, 01:11:43 pm »
Hello. I have posted this in the coffee lounge too but does anyone know what snake this is?
We found him today (SW England) and he is dark brown/green with no markings. About 4' long.
Many thanks

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
Re: Snake Identification
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 11:10:56 pm »
How big was it?  It looks like a grass snake.but the colour is totally wrong.  And I don't want to worry anyone with my 2nd Guess yet.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 11:13:04 pm »
Unthinkable.he's a californian king snake. So abandoned!

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 09:37:13 am »
Unthinkable.he's a californian king snake. So abandoned!
That's dreadful  >:(
Are they poisonous?
How big do they get too and will it survive outside during the winter?

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 11:11:00 am »
Source Wikipedia:-
One of the most popular snakes in captivity, the California kingsnake can vary widely in appearance due to numerous naturally occurring and captive-developed color morphs
All kingsnakes are non-venomous, but are powerful constrictors and generally kill their prey through suffocation.
They are considered harmless to humans, but if handled it is common for this species to bite as well as excrete musk and fecal contents from their cloaca, but this latter habit is usually restricted to the females.In the winter, they will usually go deep underground and enter a hibernation-like state called brumation, which is characterized by a slowed metabolism and reduced activity.

And there was me thinking it was just Black Adder......... ;D .

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 11:35:39 am »
I wonder if he escaped, or was abandoned after constricting the cat.   Should the find be reported to an animal welfare centre so an effort can be made to find him, as a cold winter could be too much, even if he finds somewhere to hide out?  He's very beautiful  :love:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 12:36:23 pm »
I reporting the find to the local authorities would be the best thing. Is it illegal to shoot the snakes though or kill them, seeing as they are dangerous?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 02:48:47 pm »
I reporting the find to the local authorities would be the best thing. Is it illegal to shoot the snakes though or kill them, seeing as they are dangerous?

Why on earth would you shoot it? Its not the snakes fault its not where it should be, and they are only dangerous if provoked surely? Esp since its one that doesn't do well in cold weather.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 03:38:14 pm »
Very unlikely that it would be where you found it.  californian has winters as cold as ours so it will probably just hibernate as it would in the wild. I've never seen such a dark specimen before so I've a feeling it's been dumped for quite a while and its colours changing due to its new environment. Colour change would take about 3 skin Sloughs so it's been out and about for a Good 6 months
I wouldn't advise trying to catch it as A, it will have a nasty bite and snakes teeth are riddled with some nasty bacteria and B. Without being able to see its belly I can only be 90% sure it is a king snake and you wouldn't want to be bitten by the snake that would be in the 10 %.

deepblue

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 04:05:06 pm »
Thank you for your replies.
He was very handsome, about 5' when fully stretched out and has an amazing underbelly-almost like mother of pearl.
The RSPCA came and picked him up and later he was identified as a black king snake.
He was very thin and cold so at least now being looked after properly. Thank goodness he didn't find our chickens!
How he got here I have no idea. We are in the middle of no where and apart from our neighbours (no, he isn't theirs!) we have no other properties for 1/4 mile in any direction. So did he escape or was he dumped?
And they say nothing happens in the country.......
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 05:12:04 pm by deepblue »

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 05:24:48 pm »
That is good news, I am glad he has been caught and will be well looked after. It is really quite worrying to think how he came to be on the loose!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2015, 06:01:53 pm »
Well done Verdifish!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2015, 06:16:03 pm »
I'm so pleased he's been found and will be looked after, warm and well fed.  I get so angry when people dump their pets  :rant:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2015, 07:27:56 am »
Illegal to release non native species and was he the only one they "rehomed"?

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2015, 11:43:10 am »
Illegal to release non native species and was he the only one they "rehomed"?

We will probably never know.  I've rehoused   plenty of herpetalogical specimens in my time and it always amazes me  the reasons people give them up  but giving them up will always be better than wild release..  The everglades are suffering immense damage through this, native species are in massive decline due to the illegal wild release of multiple python species that thrive in the climate. One reticulated python was found dead have eaten a 11ft long alligator!! ' 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS