Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Silly question - lambs and trailers  (Read 3726 times)

mrst064

• Joined Aug 2015
Silly question - lambs and trailers
« on: September 17, 2015, 10:38:09 pm »
Silly question, I have some dorset lambs only days old and eventually I want to move them to another field across the village, only 1 mile. How old do they have to be before they can go in the trailer with their mothers? What is the best way to move them?

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
Re: Silly question - lambs and trailers
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 10:42:00 pm »
Small compartment in trailer for lambs, ewes in main part. Or ewes in trailer, lambs in back of truck. Small lambs in a bunch of ewes in trailer can get knocked about or stood on too much.

mrst064

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 10:50:21 pm »
That is what I thought. I'd rather not separate them so I think I'll construct a compartment in the trailer for the lambs. Ta ever so.

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 10:57:47 pm »
I moved mine at 2 weeks, in a separate part of the trailer to their mums. One ram lamb managed to get through a surprisingly small gap through the partition to get back to her, before we'd even left, so watch out for that!  :fc:
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 01:16:03 pm »
A month old.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 09:32:54 pm »
I'm sure it's a week old. Seen bottle lambs at market from a week old

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 10:05:34 pm »
Once the navel is dry.

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 10:08:15 pm »
Small compartment in trailer for lambs, ewes in main part. Or ewes in trailer, lambs in back of truck. Small lambs in a bunch of ewes in trailer can get knocked about or stood on too much.
I find this method the best, but no messing about, you need to be quick, mums and lambs get very stressed if apart at this age

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 08:53:56 am »
These are the official guidelines

Fitness for travelIt’s illegal to transport an animal that’s considered unfit for travel. This includes:shorn sheep during cold weather - particularly November to March
  • very young animals - eg lambs of less than one week - unless the journey is less than 100 kilometres
  • new-born mammals where the navel has not completely healed
  • heavily pregnant females - where more than 90 per cent of the expected gestation period has passed
  • females who have given birth during the previous seven days
  • sick or injured animals where moving them would cause additional suffering - unless instructed by a vet
  • Download Defra’s guidance on whether animals are fit to travel from the ADLibwebsite (PDF, 247KB).

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 12:38:18 pm »
I'm sure it's a week old. Seen bottle lambs at market from a week old
I assume you mean being sold with their mothers? I would of thought that as being risky though, because they're so young they could pick up diseases.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 02:35:48 pm »
WBF - I think Hillview means cade lambs so no, not lambs at foot.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS