Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: new to goats being pregnant!  (Read 6073 times)

malmal512

• Joined Sep 2015
new to goats being pregnant!
« on: September 17, 2015, 07:10:07 pm »
I recently found out yesterday that my doe Luna is pregnant. I gave my goats hay and then I saw Lunas belly on the left side moving around like crazy. I only got a couple of seconds of feeling her belly. Why isn't there any movement on her right side at all and why won't she left me touch her anymore? She's extremely moody and very protective and won't let anyone or the other goats near her. Lots of advice would be very helpful!

Thank you!

Calvadnack

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: new to goats being pregnant!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 08:07:27 pm »
A really useful site is www.fiascofarm.com and go to their section on kidding.  I guess she's a Pygmy given the time of year, I only have dairy goats and there's more room to manoeuvre the kids which makes things a lot easier!

Very exciting time for you, good luck and do take lots of pics.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 08:50:23 pm »
Movement on the left side, high up behind the ribs is most likely her rumen turning over. It should do this 1-3 times per minute.
She may be getting touchy with you poking her!
If you don't know whether she is pregnant, check with who you got her from, they are pregnant for about 5 months.
I would advise a sheep scanner or your vet to scan her to check and get an idea of due date.
Your vet can also advise signs to look out for and what should prompt a call to the vet.
Hope that helps.

malmal512

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 10:20:08 pm »
She's not a pygmy goat she's a alpine and I know she's pregnant

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 10:57:54 pm »
She's not a pygmy goat she's a alpine and I know she's pregnant
[/quote

How do.you know? 

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 01:23:45 am »
How old is she and how long have you had her? has she an udder forming/formed?
It is a bit of an odd time of year to be kidding.

mine would normally have kid movement on their right side, one especialy seemed to like me to put my hand on her side, I'd press gently with my hand flat, then imediatley release the pressure, a few seconds later there would be a kidkick, quite exciting the first time I felt it.

I like the fiasco farm site as well.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 12:27:13 am »
One of mine wouldn't let me anywhere near her sides when she was pregnant so I never got to feel the kicks at all. It was only in the last few days when her udder was filling that I managed to touch it and that was because I persuaded her onto the milking bench and gave her a bucket of food to distract her.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 08:10:59 am »
As you requested advice, I gave my advice as a vet. Goats are seasonal breeders, coming into season usually from late August until March. Five months gestation means they usually kid from January to August. It is highly unlikely you have a goat that is in late pregnancy which is why I asked if you have spoken to the previous owners and advised a scan. Also I would advise any owner with a pregnant animal, especially if they are new to it, to speak to their vet to get advice on what to watch out for and the arrangements in place at that vets for emergencies.

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 11:32:55 am »
Whilst I totally agree with fsmnutter with the normal course of the Goats breeding season, there can always be an exception to the rule. I had one such exception many years ago with a British Saanen. She (very obviously me) came into season in June, the males owner (who had bred goats for 35 odd years and was a show judge) refused to believe me. After insisting my goatling was indeed in season, she begrudgingly consented to me bringing my goat over to be served. On arrival, the lady looked astonished and confirmed that the goat was indeed in full season and said it was something she had not seen before. The goat was served and later produced two beautiful female kids. I suspect that it was the genetics of her line that possibly played a part, she came fom a long show line of Q* heavy milkers producing a gallon a day at 4% butterfats.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 04:05:13 pm »
I thought this was a windup thread?

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 09:21:29 pm »
I thought this was a windup thread?

I still think it is!

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2015, 09:40:02 pm »
I did wonder, esp as they are the only 2 posts they've made, but no harm in answering.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2015, 10:23:28 pm »
If someone asks for advice, particularly if they sound out of their depth with something I can offer useful advice about, I'd rather offer help first and worry about windups later. It may help someone else even if the op has left.

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2015, 08:15:38 am »
Im normally a cynic and can normally see a fraud if one appears. However, Im not sure why this post is seen as a wind up. Can anyone who doubts the op explain why this could be construed as a wind up?
it seems to be a strange thing to be a wind up - surely it cant be seen malicious or dangerous - there is someone out there who has turned to this forum for help.  What would anyone gain by posting a wind up?

I doubt if the op will be back.....

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2015, 11:35:05 am »
Im normally a cynic and can normally see a fraud if one appears. However, Im not sure why this post is seen as a wind up. Can anyone who doubts the op explain why this could be construed as a wind up?
it seems to be a strange thing to be a wind up - surely it cant be seen malicious or dangerous - there is someone out there who has turned to this forum for help.  What would anyone gain by posting a wind up?

I doubt if the op will be back.....

A feeling in my water, and the fact that the.poster seems a little absent to defend themselves. I'd love to be wrong.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS