Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feral Sheep Flocks  (Read 9601 times)

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
Re: Feral Sheep Flocks
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2015, 05:32:28 pm »
Having a quiet day at work, and this interested me to find out more.

Turns out feral goats are the only survivors of the primitive breed of goats that used to be kept in the Scotland and North England 200 years ago.

http://britishferalgoat.org.uk/status.shtml

Why are they totally ignored by the RBST and why do they have no protection at all (as far as I can see there isn't even a closed season for shooting them)?  You would think someone would care a bit more about an endangered native breed.  (Although now I think about it I could think of a few more significant native species which seem to be totally ignored, even by most conservationists)

I wonder if someone could catch some and start a herd book............

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2015, 05:46:29 pm »
if they were protected and managed properly, IE like the wild cows on chillingham estate, then it wouldn't be too bad. They could even employ a few game keepers to control the numbers and have controlled hunts, a bit like deer. In a way protecting them would be a good idea, so long as the numbers were controlled, the problem is animals, wild, are protected and when there are too many, like the badgers, no one wants them to be killed. There was a wildlife program on iplayer, they were talking about wolves coming back through america and how they were keeping the herds of deer at a controlled level. http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20140128-how-wolves-saved-a-famous-park read this its very interesting, I am not however saying reintroduce wolves, but like the wolves manage the herds of deer and wildlife we should do the same. Culling out weaker animals and keeping the herd strong, plus keeping them at a level where there are not too few, but not too many either.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2015, 09:31:26 am »
We see some feral goats from the road somewhereorother that I can't remember, but there now appear to have been fences and a catching pen built, so perhaps they are being managed now.
Would it be down in Galloway?
I know there are some down in that direction - I remember seeing them years ago when we were on a family holiday at Crocketford.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2015, 11:43:29 am »
We see some feral goats from the road somewhereorother that I can't remember, but there now appear to have been fences and a catching pen built, so perhaps they are being managed now.
Would it be down in Galloway?
I know there are some down in that direction - I remember seeing them years ago when we were on a family holiday at Crocketford.

I think it was more like round about Rest and be Thankful, but I'll check with the Great Encyclopaedia that's my dearly beloved  ;D   
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2015, 09:45:46 pm »
Having a quiet day at work, and this interested me to find out more.

Turns out feral goats are the only survivors of the primitive breed of goats that used to be kept in the Scotland and North England 200 years ago.

http://britishferalgoat.org.uk/status.shtml

Why are they totally ignored by the RBST and why do they have no protection at all (as far as I can see there isn't even a closed season for shooting them)?  You would think someone would care a bit more about an endangered native breed.  (Although now I think about it I could think of a few more significant native species which seem to be totally ignored, even by most conservationists)

I wonder if someone could catch some and start a herd book............

no protection for feral goats, if they are on your land you are entitled to shoot them  :'(

article in the Northern Times about an 'unofficial' cull being done up here with bodies of not just billies but nannies and kids being dumped by the roadsides  >:(
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2015, 09:58:51 am »
That's is dreadful fiestyredhead, that should be illegal to just shoot and dump as it is downright wasteful. You would have thought if they killed them they would at least eat em, or sell the meat, I mean its a form of game right?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2015, 06:41:37 pm »
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

namethatsheep

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2015, 07:46:53 pm »
Wild Goats seen Forest of Ae (D&G),  also near Torridon and Kinlochleven and in Wales on Great Orme, Landudno.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2015, 11:40:41 pm »
As a point of interest are you allowed to take the wild goats or do you have to ask the councils permission?

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2015, 11:58:25 pm »
As a point of interest are you allowed to take the wild goats or do you have to ask the councils permission?

I may have misunderstood one of your earlier posts that you condone shooting snakes but not goats!  So where do you draw the line?
Personally if any overpopulated species is culled for food I'm OK with it and that includes just about anything.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2015, 07:45:20 am »
I condone shooting snakes to a point. If the animal is where it shouldn't belong and where it could be very dangerous to humans, then yes shooting it would be the best option. I know a lot of people may not agree with me, but it is just a view, I have never killed a snake before. On the subject of goats, they're in essence a farm animal. The reason I was disgusted by them being shot was because the meat was going to waste. Its fine if you're going to eat/sell the meat, but leaving it by the roadside is apalling, especially when there are so many people in this world who dont have enough food. I would draw the line if a species was exceedingly rare and in its own enviroment.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS