Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: young runner ducks disappeared into thick hedgerow cant find them!!!  (Read 2890 times)

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
Shouldnt of let them out so soon put them in the large orchard with the white ducks and geese, two disappeared into the hedgerow, and now the last one has gone too.  Last night we spotted one but werent quick enough.  Spent hours thrashing and pocking.  Nothing tonight its too wet and windy and dark!!! Is there anyway of finding them they are dark so well camouflaged.  Not sure how long they will last out in the wilderness have we just got to accept they are gone? Do I assume they've gone further or do they stay put?  What more can we do?

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: young runner ducks disappeared into thick hedgerow cant find them!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 08:19:00 am »
I think just cross your fingers and hope! A good strong torch shone into the hedge may show them up at night when they will be easy to catch (as long as your hedges aren't thorn or holly!! Good luck.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 09:06:19 am »
The old hedge comes with a health warning - its lethal! Because the land is rough inside the hedge you cant see the ducks.  My husband is spitting feathers over their stupidity & waste of money.  I cant understand I let the other ducks out to see if that would attract them I can only assume the fox is going to get them.  Weather was so rough last night it was no fun.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 01:18:03 pm »
Hope they didn't cost too much........  I think you'll be lucky to get them back, fox more likely to have them  :'(

You could try feeding your others at the  same time every day and hope the runners are hungry
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 02:57:00 pm »
yeap thats £45 wasted - our stupidity should of kept them in the shed longer - no doubt fox fooder - gutted!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 08:03:16 pm »
Live and learn. My runners went to next doors pond and didn't come back. Fox got them.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 12:17:44 am »
Don't give up yet, hunger may bring them back, it's starting to get colder, less food around for them.

bb41

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 08:15:18 am »
I rescue ex bat hens and ducks, I took possession of another 20 last week who were the most skittish I have ever had.

I spent 4 nights wrestling to get them into their night house as they wouldn't go near my hens.

Apart from me being out until dark , covered in mud and stung every where I quickly built a holding pen to herd them in first safely and then fed them in their house .

After 4 days they go in happily.  My advice is still to feed at the same time in the morning and a bit later in the evening this may entice them back if still alive .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS